"New" Paper on topographic evolution of Sierra Nevada

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

"New" Paper on topographic evolution of Sierra Nevada

Post by giantbrookie »

For those of you who may be interested and don't mind wading through a technical paper, there is a paper published in the April 2013 volume of the journal Geosphere that presents updates estimates on the timing and rates of topographic development of the Sierra as well as presenting a case against studies that conclude that uplift of the Sierra Nevada did not occur within the last 10 million years or so.
The official citation is (for those that have online access to this journal):
Wakabayashi, J., 2013, Paleochannels, stream incision, erosion, topographic evolution, and alternative explanations of paleoaltimetry, Sierra Nevada, California: Geosphere, v.9, p. 192-215. doi10.1130/GES00814.1

For those that do not have such access and wish to have have a pdf of this paper, please send me an email (note that this is a 4 Mb pdf).

Cheers,

John (aka giantbrookie)
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: "New" Paper on topographic evolution of Sierra Nevada

Post by Vaca Russ »

John,

Coincidentally I ran across another on line paper written by the same author. :) Wakabayashi J., Sawyer T.L., 2001, Stream incision, tectonics, uplift, and evolution of topography of the Sierra Nevada, California.

The price of gold had soared. The price of gasoline had soared as well. I was thinking I could use my backcountry skills to help pay for gas. Maybe I could research on line and find a map of tertiary gravels missed by Lindgren. I have yet to try it but, hey, maybe I could get lucky.

I also heard a rumor this author knows a lot about backcountry fishing. :D

Thanks for the heads up!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.