The color of glacial lakes through seasons

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The color of glacial lakes through seasons

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Some non glacier lakes have a bit of this effect like Marion Lake. A bright white mineral (maybe talc) flows into the lake from the SE shore. In high snow years and early season the mineral mixes with the water and reflects in the right way to make it so blue.

Marjorie Lake also has this effect.

This mineral seems to flow in areas that have the more red and orange rock. The interesting thing to me is I have never actually seen a patch of earth that is as bright white as the mineral staining the creek bed anywhere around the actual area it's being deposited.
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: The color of glacial lakes through seasons

Post by Eiprahs »

Rogue, your comment about red rock is very interesting. I don't think there has been a glacier in the pictued cirque for quite a while, but glacial flour persists and is still washing in. Goat Lake from Hawkeye Point, Goat Rocks Wilderness, Gifford Pinchot NF, Washington

Dave