NPS/NFS Pilot Program To Reintroduce Grizzlies To The Sierra

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: NPS/NFS Pilot Program To Reintroduce Grizzlies To The Sierra

Post by freestone »

The California Grizzly is extinct and can not come back, or be "reintroduced". A Montana Grizzley can not morph into a California Grizzly. I have been fascinated by this creature for quite some time. He is a symbol on the state flag, and two UCs refer to a bear as the team mascot, yet the last one was shot near Fresno in the 1920's nor are there any documented deaths attributed to him. I have read one account of the Ursus californicus, and it was not a vicious unpredictable creature, but one that was in tune to the plentiful salmon and steelhead runs, in the foothills and valleys before large scale damming took place. That story was more lore than history but makes sense. so maybe he was not really a High Sierra dweller at all since large parts of the Sierra were fishless. I have not read Muir accounts in awhile, but do not recall him mentioning the Grizzly either, only the sheep and Native Americans.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Folks, this was not meant to be about whether they should be re-introduced or not,
which is why the I used the word fiction, but about the impact and changes
such a move would dictate on your daily hiking/fishing habits.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Freestone,

I am too lazy to confirm my memory but a I recall Muir did mention something about griz and the sheep herders.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Dave54 has it right. The California Grizzly's former habitat was not the mountains but the valleys, where they feasted on salmon and other delicacies. The Black bears, being smaller and no match for a griz, were relegated to the mountains. So to reintroduce the California Grizzly in an ecologically correct way you would drop them off in the San Joaquin or Sacramento Valley somewhere. Which, come to think of it, might be the only thing that could get the state government to actually take some action - although not likely a sensible action. Of course, a griz could certainly survive in the mountains, but that is not the California Grizzly's former home.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Rockchucker --you take YOUR access for granted. How can you be sure that "less people" does not mean YOU? How can you be sure that the closed areas are not exactly where you would like to go? Reduce the permits allowed by half and you may sing a different tune. I have gone for 8 days in the Sierra without seeing anyone. There really are not too many people in the remote sections of the Sierra. But we have to walk through the more crowded trails to get to where we want to go and these lower elevation access points are where the restrictions would likely apply.

Two areas where there are grizzlies and people (Canadian Rockies National Parks and Glacier National Park USA) there are LOTS of rules and regulations, restricted camping to established campsites, etc. that are in place, partly due to the grizzlies. I can imagine rules that would say you were no longer allowed to solo backpack because it would be deemed too dangerous.

Have YOU hiked in grizzly country? I have and I really do not like it. If Mr. Griz happens to wander on down this way on his own, so be it, but I am not for us trapping him where he is and putting him smack in the Sierra. Black bears may go after your food. Grizzlies are predators - it is really different.
I see what your saying and agree, I still like the idea of less crowds. Luckily I hike many areas that require no permits, and have little to no human contact.

I have hiked quite a bit in grizzly country as a young kid, and only had one far off encounter. I was too young to be scared. I was mainly with my grandpa and never felt scared around him. Today I would probably crap myself if I had an encounter.

By the way I didn't mean to upset you! :thumbsup:
I'm no suture for my future.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I wouldnt go solo in grizz country, I would probably add oder proof bags to my canister, and I would carry spray. WD....you are a brave woman!

It would really be a shame though, not just the potential damage it could cause. I don't like the idea of humans "reintroducing" anything. We aren't masters of mother earth. We are a part of it but not its master.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

The subject title really had me going for a moment....LOL. :D
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When I hike in grizzly country, I am on edge. But you really cannot stay on edge that much or you go nuts. After a while I just pretended they were not an issue. Maybe not the smartest thing but had to do it for my sanity. When I was most worried about grizzlies, I woke up in the morning with a moose standing 20 feet from my tent door! I spend most of my time above timber-above griz territory. But they have been know to wander up there. One time I was pinned down at a lower lake by a storm. I knew there were grizzlies and had planned on getting out of the drainage but a big storm moved in and there I was stuck for two days. Between the weather, wondering if I would ever get out, and griz problem, it was not fun. The worst is bushwhaking - you cannot see that far to avoid the bears. I carry the large bear spray cannister. There still is the problem of getting the spray shot in time. When I have hiked (mountaineering) in the Selkirks of Canada, I was with a group so was not as stressed out. Once we got up on the glaciers, we all did breath easier. I would not go solo up there. The difference is LOTS of grizzlies vs. a few in the Wind Rivers. I really love it that I can come back the Sierra and NOT have to deal with grizzlies. For all you who love grizzlies - go up to Canada and see what it is like.

Rockchucker- I did come down a bit hard on you. Sorry to be harsh. I just have a thing about what I perceive as flippant replies.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Wasn't tring to be flippant, one of the tough issues communicating on the Internet, no facial ques to realize the intent of a comment. Again I meant no disrespect!
I'm no suture for my future.
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Post by Colter »

oldranger wrote:Tom,

Stats I picked up during visit to Glacier--Using fire arm to protect oneself--survive 50% of the time. Using bear spray to protect oneself survive 90% of the time...
My first thought after seeing the initial post is "that's going to cause some trouble."

That ranger quoted above is wrong. He was paraphrasing this initial quote "since 1992, persons encountering grizzlies and defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries."

I strongly suspect that bear spray is usually going to be a better choice, but those stats are pretty fuzzy according to this article: http://www.examiner.com/article/bear-sp ... ety-expert" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I live in grizzly country and know a few folks (including myself) that have killed charging bears. None of those people were injured. Who knows how many of those charges would have resulted in injury if the person wouldn't have fired, however. I've had grizzlies run at me many times and in my experience it's in wilderness country where they haven't identified me as human yet. When they do, they almost always immediately run away.

I don't know anyone killed or even injured by bears with the exception of one acquaintance that was was slightly banged up but, beyond a scare, not seriously injured.

I like having grizzlies in wilderness areas, despite the real but very low risk. That said is it seems like a good idea to limit reintroduction where human/bear conflict is most likely.