Hydropower Roads

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hydropower Roads

Post by ERIC »

adam921 wrote:I didn't mean to avoid the question at all- I missed that you were talking about the book and not just the article. No, I haven't read the book, have you?
No worries. Just clarifying.
Yes, I have. Recommend you do the same - it's not a time consuming book and should help with your research paper.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
adam921
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by adam921 »

“A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where the earth and community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.”
Plus where the boundaries are.

I'll definitely read it, our library has just about everything :)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Coincidentally just finished reading the afore mentioned book...nice read. Stand out was the many pictures taken back in the 20's of how they built the dams, penstocks, powerhouses, etc. Interesting that even though a complete history of the project, there was never a complete map of the entire project given...wonder if this was intentional?
Would like to see a Topo including all the tunnels, penstocks, dams...anybody?

Regarding the initial question: Yes, these dam roads are great for the wilderness - providing access all along that section of the west side of the Sierra Crest. (Too bad there was not the vision to include another West-side hydro-project between VVR and Whitney Portal - would make doing that 100 mile stretch of the Muir a lot easier weight-wise.)
IMHO, having these roads has made getting to that part of Sierra easier, no complaints...Much like Beasore Drive in the West or the East-side roads to: Horseshoe Meadows, Onion Valley, Devil's Postpile allowing access on the east-side.
Just a long as there are no roads cutting all the way through through.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

markskor wrote:
(Too bad there was not the vision to include another West-side hydro-project between VVR and Whitney Portal - would make doing that 100 mile stretch of the Muir a lot easier weight-wise.)
There is! Check out the N. Fork Kings. the only other alternatives would be Tehipite, Cedar Grove, or possibly the Kaweahs.

Are you really sure thats what you want?

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

There was almost another road crossing the sierra in the middle. The road to Huntington and beyond to Florence Lake is CA 168. Look on the other side of the mountains and you will see that the road to Sabrina is also CA 168. Plans were afoot at one time to connect them - fortunately it never happened.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

markskor wrote:Would like to see a Topo including all the tunnels, penstocks, dams...
Of course, all these features (also power lines, etc.) are marked on regular topo maps. For example:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... llshade=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... llshade=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a guide to help finding them one can use a schematic map at
http://www.sce.com/PowerandEnvironment/ ... efault.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
adam921
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam921 »

For those of you interested in the topos, I should be getting maps from Southern California Edison any day now and I'll pass them on if you'd like.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i would love to see the maps, and when your project is done, get a copy of it, or a pointer to it.