Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

Post by rlown »

right up there on my list with feral cats in my back yard. took me 15 mins to grab Bubba and pull him away from the cat which was then summarily dismissed from the yard with a pool broom.

Jacks are a great alarm system though. :thumbsup:
high_sierra_yj
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by high_sierra_yj »

I have had a couple unexplained experiences in the woods. Im always in the mountains camping whether it be at coyote lake, strawberry lake or near star lakes on the outskirts of yosemite valley. Ive ran into bear, coyotes, bobcat, and even marmot (didnt even know those existed until a few years ago when i saw one standing on a rock. I thought it was either a groundhog or the worlds fattest squirrel lol). Well I decided to do a last minute camping trip with my brother and dad on Sept 25, 2011. It was a sunday. They had never gone jeeping so I wanted to take them so i decided to take an easy trail since id be going with just one vehicle. So we went to Strawberry lake in Dinkey lakes area. Being Sunday there was nobody on the trail or at the lake, just us three. it was around 4pm so i decided to set up camp and get a fire going. So now its about 5:30pm and the sun is below the treeline but plenty bright out. Our camp is on the NW side of the lake and me and my brother decide to scout out by the north side of the lake when not even 50 feet from camp we here really loud knocking, as if someone was swinging a baseball bat to a tree, me and my brother stop instantly and listen to maybe hear people talking. It goes on for another minute when me and my brother decide to run in the direction of the knocking. I always carry a sidearm when im in the middle of nowhere so if any of you guys know, you feel pretty safe knowing you can defend yourself from bears and whatnot. As we are running and being very loud the knocking stop and we here something running in the same direction so we stop and listen. Now we are about 300 feet from camp and decide to head back. We get back and our dad was just sitting by the fire so we tell him we just heard knocking and he says he heard it too. Then all of a sudden we hear the loud knocking noise again accept this time it was coming from the opposite side of the lake so whatever was making the noise ran reallly fast to get to that spot. My dad never watched bigfoot shows or cared too much about that stuff til we got back and a few months later a show was on about it and heard a similar knocking noise then put two and two together so to speak and now he wants to go back up in the high sierras and try and find some more "signs". Well thats my story. one of them anyways. Image
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi high_sierra_yj,

Welcone to HST! Thanks for you story. Let us know if there is a follow story to this one.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

OK.. so knocking. nice.

Seems coincidental that Les Stroud just did his bigfoot show part 1 last night. It was kind of sad to see him drift down to this level, as his early seasons were great.

Yes, i watched part 1. guess i could scare him with a baseball bat from a distance now. He kept saying no one knew where he was, but a "knock" can also be someone just breaking wood or a dead limb dropping.

A response "whoop", well. who cares. If you're looking for a squatch, you're gonna hear what you want.

why didn't you put on your headlamp and head for the noise? you were armed. probably had a camera as well.

Oh, forgot. Welcome and that's a nice Jeep.

Russ
Last edited by rlown on Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Sounds like a woodpecker to me. Gun for protection from bears? :thumbsdown:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
high_sierra_yj
Topix Novice

Post by high_sierra_yj »

maverick wrote:Hi high_sierra_yj,

Welcone to HST! Thanks for you story. Let us know if there is a follow story to this one.
There is one more story. This was on March 26, 2010. Me and 3 other friends of mine wanted to do some trout fishing/camping at a new place so i jumped online and looked for some nice secluded camping sites and i came across Black Rock Reservoir. I googled it and looked at all the pics and camp sites and it looked like a nice drive. So the next day I load up all my camping stuff and wait for one buddy to get off work and we take off from Madera around 6pm thinking it would only take a few hours to get there, forgetting how long it takes to drive around Pine flat since we had taken the 180 east then north alongside the kings river. Well we ended up getting to the campground a little after 1am. We all get out and its really quiet, right as i finished unloading my truck and I jump out I heard a yell that made the hair on my neck stand up. But it wasnt close by. It had to off been a few miles NE of us in the Teakettle Experimental Forest area. I looked at my friend and asked if he heard it and he nods at me wide eyed. It happened two more times withing 5 minutes and stopped for the rest of the time there. Im open minded but Im also the type of person who will try and explain something, if I can, and i thought of things from a mountain lion in heat to bears but this sounded like nothing Ive ever heard. It sounded like a man with a really deep voice yelling. A few miles back down the road there was a pge camp for workers and the yell set off a few dogs in the opposite direction so i could gauge how far the sounds were traveling. After i got home I went online and listened to mountain lion vocalizations to see if I could match the tone in any way but had no luck. So then I searched supposed Bigfoot sound clips and came across this one that sounded IDENTICAL to what we had heard the night before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVVGZZl0TKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Im sure there are people on here who would say its this or that and Im not saying its bigfoot but this is definitely something, in all my years in the backcountry, I have never heard once before.
high_sierra_yj
Topix Novice

Post by high_sierra_yj »

oldranger wrote:Sounds like a woodpecker to me. Gun for protection from bears? :thumbsdown:

Mike
I just said bears cause thats the only animal up there that could actually do harm if it wanted. So sorry if I offended you. Besides a mountain lion but Ive never seen one that high up. Ive ran into dozens of bears in the sierras and I know they are more afraid of me. Even if it came down to it I would never shoot at it unless I knew the warning shots werent deterring it. And i also told myself it was a woodpecker since thats the only thing that hits wood but this was a slow wood knock and was hitting wayyy too hard to be a bird. Then it crossed my mind that someone was cutting a tree with an axe but this wasnt the distinct metal to wood sound. It was definitely wood hitting wood. And I doubt it was someone up there cause, like i said, we were probably the only people up there within a couple miles and there is no road or trails back where the sound was coming from. This lake was the end of that ohv trail.
Last edited by high_sierra_yj on Sat May 03, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
high_sierra_yj
Topix Novice

Post by high_sierra_yj »

rlown wrote:why didn't you put on your headlamp and head for the noise? you were armed. probably had a camera as well.

Oh, forgot. Welcome and that's a nice Jeep.

Russ
Thanks. Me and my brother tried to go see what the sound was and we did scare something away as we could hear it running away from us but i never saw what type of animal it was and we stopped cause being at that altitude made me wanna pass out after running.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

high_sierra_yj wrote:
oldranger wrote:Sounds like a woodpecker to me. Gun for protection from bears? :thumbsdown:

Mike
I just said bears cause thats the only animal up there that could actually do harm if it wanted. So sorry if I offended you. Besides a mountain lion but Ive never seen one that high up. Ive ran into dozens of bears in the sierras and I know they are more afraid of me. Even if it came down to it I would never shoot at it unless I knew the warning shots werent deterring it. And i also told myself it was a woodpecker since thats the only thing that hits wood but this was a slow wood knock and was hitting wayyy too hard to be a bird. Then it crossed my mind that someone was cutting a tree with an axe but this wasnt the distinct metal to wood sound. It was definitely wood hitting wood. And I doubt it was someone up there cause, like i said, we were probably the only people up there within a couple miles and there is no road or trails back where the sound was coming from. This lake was the end of that ohv trail.
I carry a gun A lot when I fish, not to protect me from bears, but two legged creatures that like to grow bad things in areas I happen to like to fish sometimes.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
high_sierra_yj
Topix Novice

Post by high_sierra_yj »

k9mark wrote:
high_sierra_yj wrote:

Mike
I carry a gun A lot when I fish, not to protect me from bears, but two legged creatures that like to grow bad things in areas I happen to like to fish sometimes.
I totally know what you mean! I thought of saying that but felt I'd start another subject in this thread lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk