Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

Post by AlmostThere »

Occam's razor?

I'd sooner buy a bigfoot community in Vermont than in the Sierra Nevada!
RooPhillip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RooPhillip »

So George, does that mean if someone does document a Sasquatch, you aren't interested in featuring it in Sierra Nature Notes? :)
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

I would cheerfully publish her study -- though would send it out for at least some basic peer review... . I might change my mind on the haunting howl of the earlier post. Gosh darned if that isn't bigfoot, bereft 'cause there's no one to play with.

Next would be a line of clothing, shoes and accessories. (Bigfoot Feet -- maybe as successful as Ugg Boots???). I think those blurry shots of retreating furry critters would look good carrying a purse or something.

This could be a whole cottage industry for out of work rangers!

g.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I seem to remember seeing bigfeet on the ski slopes(mini snow shoe/skis).
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

atreehugger wrote:Though I have never had a Bigfoot Sierra experience (other than the beer)...these folk did while camped in Monanche Mdws area:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-C ... %2C4564720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the link:
...said that in the twilight, about a city block away, they saw the shadowy outline of an human-looking creature at least 8 feet tall.
I had the same experience in a similar evening setting at about the same distance. I was setting up camp off-trail north of Smedberg Lake when I noticed a dark moving shadowy outline that appeared to be standing upright on two legs. My first thought was to grab my camera and slowly approach the figure that was some distance away and moving slowly at times behind a tree and at times in front of a tree at which time I could see the shape of the creature.

When I got closer the creature moved into a brighter part of the forest and I saw that it was a momma bear since now I also saw her cub scamper up a tree.

This interaction was a pleasure but what was interesting to me and why I bring up the story is how I perceived in the dim light and distance a bear to be an upright humanoid. In fact for a few initial seconds I thought in might be a fellow off-trail hiker looking to camp.

The mind and eye aren't as reliable as we hope.

For a second or two I really hoped my adventure was to meet an unknown creature.
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted

Post by atreehugger »

Evidence that Bigfoot or "Hairy Man" is in the archaeological record of the southern Sierra foothills:

http://www.bigfootproject.org/articles/mayak_datat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The conclusion of the article reads,
Stories and paintings of how the creature looked and behaved are only present in these Native cultures because of direct observation of a flesh and blood creature.
Huh? This person then must be suggesting that native americans had no immagination! Unlike us white folks who could come up with such fantasies as "Vampire's.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

There's a show on what I like to call the "Bigfoot Channel", as that's all they seem to cover lately. Ancient Aliens seems to propose that Bigfoot is an alien insertion, which would remove them from Earth's evolutionary path. how convenient.
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted

Post by atreehugger »

Heres a link to a recent TV program of Searching for Bigfoot in the Sierra (above Fresno) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ap66I03ZI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprising how many folks in Shaver Lake area have had Bigfoot experiences.
You may think twice when hearing a noise in the night...Enjoy the video!
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Ancient Aliens seems to propose that Bigfoot is an alien insertion,
No. I think cats are an alien insertion. They're just waiting for the Mother Ship to come back, then they'll smother us all in our sleep.