Taboose trail: old vs new? | High Sierra Topix  

Taboose trail: old vs new?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.

Taboose trail: old vs new?

Postby cgundersen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Having just come down the Taboose trail, I was struck by what looked like remnants of an old trail on the North side of the creek in the area where the current trail crosses the creek to the South side. The first crossing is at ~8400 ft and it crosses back to the North side around 9200 ft. Kathy Wing posted some nice photos of these crossings earlier this year. Anyway, I have a 1937 edition of the Whitney 30' map that shows the Taboose trail exclusively on the North side of the creek (ironically, only part of the Taboose trail is on the Whitney map, the rest is on the Big Pine 30' map). Obviously, this means that the current trail was created sometime since the 1937 map came out. Does anyone have any idea when this happened?
cg

cgundersen
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose trail: old vs new?

Postby AfterSeven » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 am

From the 1954 Climber's Guide to the High Sierra

Taboose Pass (11,400+). Taboose Pass offers an approach to the Upper Basin of the South Fork of the Kings, but it is little used and has fallen into disrepair. Animals must be led over several stretches of jumbled talus blocks. It is a long, dry climb. To reach the foot of the trail turn off Highway 395 about 16 miles north of Independence on the first dirt road north of Taboose Creek. Keep to the right after passing through the drift fence and drive to the end of the rocky road. The trail is signed and leads to the north. Camp can be made in the flat below the falls at about 8,800, or at the last timber at about 10,500.

Draw your own conclusions....suggests to me if it was improved at all, it was improved after 1954 at the very least.

Also it I think on it... the north side of that canyon, which will obviously hold snow a bit longer....is chock full of very steep talus...I wonder if a trail ever existed there and if the map is just plain wrong....also if it did exist there, could have easily been taken out in a talus slide.
Enthusiasm is the burning spirit within that says, ‘I can!’ It is the indomitable ‘Yes!’ without which nothing worthwhile is ever accomplished. ~ ROYAL ROBBINS
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Re: Taboose trail: old vs new?

Postby cgundersen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 am

After7,
OK, that makes sense; along with the fact that the old remnant trail tended to be far from water, it definitely was obliterated in places by rock slides. I figured that the re-routing avoided the worst slides and gave access to water.
Thanks!
cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Return to Sierra Nevada History / Natural History & Setting