Pick and Shovel Mine | High Sierra Topix  

Pick and Shovel Mine

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.

Pick and Shovel Mine

Postby Wehmeyer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:45 pm

My father was one of the partners establishing this mining claim which was to my knowledge the last working claim in the sierra wilderness. It was located somewhere between Goodale Pass and Fish Camp, not to give away too much. If you've been there, you would know.

I am gathering information with the intent of an informative web page about the mine, its history, as many stories as I can find to add to my father's, which I wrote down before he died. Please comment if you have any stories, photos, info. Especially any info about the other 2 original partners and their families. That would be families of Glenn Burns, Auberry CA (I beleive) in the 1960's and Mr. Baldwin (Mt Baldwin) of Coalinga CA also in the 1960's.

Wehmeyer
Topix Newbie

Experience: N/A

Re: Pick and Shovel Mine

Postby Morrisons » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi,
I am Alan Morrison's granddaughter, and I was just sitting around with my father about packing in to stay at the Pick and Shovel mine for a week or so in the summers when I was growing up. Glenn was very close friends and partners with my grandfather. I may have met you when I was young. Our family has some of the passed down stories of when they were working the mine. The funniest one was about the building of the helicopter pad! Get in touch if you are still on here!
All the best,
Heather Morrison and Bill Morrison
Morrisons
Topix Newbie

Postby maverick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Welcome to HST, to the both of you! Small world.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby The Other Tom » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Original post was in Jan of 2012. Don't know if OP is still around. It would be interesting if a mod could get them together..... ;)
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Return to Sierra Nevada History / Natural History & Setting