Shaver Lake amethyst rumors

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
ejayerik
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Shaver Lake amethyst rumors

Post by ejayerik »

A friend of a friend said that he and other people have been finding huge chunks of amethyst around the inlets of Shaver Lake since the level is so low. I was told that the chunks were so big that they closed the area off so that people won't bring in heavy gear to tear them out. Well that and so Indian artifacts won't be dug up too complicating the dam project.

Has anyone else heard this? I know it's not unheard of to find amethyst around Shaver but I was told that these were huge finds.
packing like I'm going to need to be rescued is a bad idea
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Shaver Lake amethyst rumors

Post by AlmostThere »

They are fencing off the lake because the silt at the bottom is very wet, and very dangerous.

I was down near the dam - we found pieces of obsidian and grinding rocks. No amethyst. (I do know what amethyst is - my parents were rock hounds extraordinaire, my dad still has a faceting machine.)

If they are finding amethyst at the inlets, it's probably just as silty and smelly trying to get to it (the silt smells like rotting garbage. Which it probably is judging from all the cans, barrels and artifacts of boaters laying around out there.)
ejayerik
Topix Novice

Post by ejayerik »

I found this article online. I've also read some that were dated last year when the water levels were higher.

Apparently they are posting security guards as well. For safety, for conservation, and for what ever other reason.

Just wondering if anyone had seen it with their own eyes.
packing like I'm going to need to be rescued is a bad idea
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Please move this discussion to the Natural History forum
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

And here I thought they fenced off the lake so that folks wouldn't try to go after all of the fish concentrated in such a small amount of water. But yes, probably wrong section of forum.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The fish aren't biting.

:wink: