The California Grizzly

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

The California Grizzly

Post by rlown »

Found this little piece on our history. Kind of sucks that it's on our flag and doesn't exist here anymore. Full story at: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/give/bene61 ... tory5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The California Grizzly Bear once roamed the shores and hills of California, as the true "monarch of the mountains." The grizzly, a largely vegetarian omnivore, is believed to have once numbered 10,000 within the state. The arrival of European explorers and the population explosion generated by the California Gold Rush marked the beginning of the end for this massive animal. Forced from coastal areas and lowlands to inland areas in search of food and safety, the bear became the target of hunters who killed the bear for sport, to assist ranchers and farmers, or for simple bragging rights. Spanish caballeros roped grizzlies, dragging them into doomed public battles with wild bulls.
At the end of the nineteenth century the California Grizzly Bear represented man’s last challenge to conquer and settle California’s rich agricultural, grazing, and mineral regions. Civilization demanded the submission of nature’s largest, strongest, and most feared animal. Scientists, such as Berkeley’s own C. Hart Merriam and Joseph Grinnell hurried to study this disappearing creature. For many, however, the extinction of the grizzly bear signaled a measurable victory against the savage wilderness and a triumph for the modern elements of California society-expanding cities and towns, increasing commerce and industry, and improved agricultural and livestock ventures...
Kinda wish they're reintroduce them. Give my bear can a real test.
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: The California Grizzly

Post by yosehiker »

It would be cool to reintroduce them, but as they are extinct it would not be possible, baring some "Jurassic Park" type advance. The California Grizzly was a sub-species of the 'regular' Grizzly so introducing grizzlies from another population would be an introduction, not a re-introduction. I guess we could find a close genetic relative, but it wouldn't be the same. Either way, I doubt there will be grizzlies in California anytime soon. It sure would make backpacking in the sierra quite a different experience.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I backpacked a little bit in Canada and Montana in areas that had Grizzlies and I often felt some fear or apprehension that I never felt in the Sierra.
Last edited by Cross Country on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, this was a fun tid-bit of legend, if its true: http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legen ... Miwok.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a slice from the article:
Long, long ago before the white man came to the West, a large happy tribe of peaceful Indians lived among the trees of beautiful Oak Canyon. This spectacular place is now known as Yosemite Valley, situated in Yosemite National Park, California.

In the beginning these peaceful Indians were called Ah-wah-nees, meaning "Deep Grass Valley," which was the first name given to Yosemite Valley.

It is of interest to note that because of a printer's error at a later date, the spelling of the tribe's name was inadvertently changed to Yosemite. Now Yosemite National Park identifies the original home of the Ah-wah-nee band (Yosemite), southern division of the Miwok Tribe.

Today, the California State flag carries a picture of the grizzly bear as a reminder of the State's official animal, Yo Semitee.

Ah-wah-nees were proud of their Chief, a tall and young athletic man. Early one spring morning, he started off with his spears in hand to hunt for trout in the nearby lake known as Sleeping Water.

Imagine his astonishment when he rounded a large boulder and came face to face with an enormous grizzly bear, probably just out of its winter hibernation!

Such an unexpected meeting caused both of them to rear back in stunned surprise. Immediately, however, all of the fighting spirit within each arose. They attacked one another furiously! The Chief realized his fighting power was not equal to the great strength of the grizzly.
The full story at the URL above.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I need help with this- it isn't obvious to me that the "California Griz" is in fact an identifiable sub-species, more that it is "extinct" in the overall pre-and-historic range of the "generic" North American griz. Hence it isn't as if there are no more Calif. griz, just that there are no more griz in Calif. If the latter there are no biological impediments to reintroduction. (And I'm probably dead wrong about this, but what are the facts?) Obviously there are many logistical issues and obvious reasons why reintroduction would not be deemed wise at this point. We are still sorting this out up here in WA state, where they have reappeared in the North Cascades. No doubt coming in from Canada eh?

So what's the scoop folks? I'm jest an ignorant geologist!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

mokelumnekid wrote:I need help with this- it isn't obvious to me that the "California Griz" is in fact an identifiable sub-species, more that it is "extinct" in the overall pre-and-historic range of the "generic" North American griz. Hence it isn't as if there are no more Calif. griz, just that there are no more griz in Calif. If the latter there are no biological impediments to reintroduction. (And I'm probably dead wrong about this, but what are the facts?) Obviously there are many logistical issues and obvious reasons why reintroduction would not be deemed wise at this point. We are still sorting this out up here in WA state, where they have reappeared in the North Cascades. No doubt coming in from Canada eh?

So what's the scoop folks? I'm jest an ignorant geologist!

By logistical, you mean that a Grizz would head straight towards the ranches, right? Well, they were here first. So how is the battle going in WA?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Domesticated dogs (not to mention their numerous wild cousins) in North America have been traced back thousands of years coextending the history of Native Americans. In some places their reintroduction is only hindered by government policy. Think we should remove those obstacles and let them once again roam the Sierra with their masters, MK? :p
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Be careful what you wish for:
001.JPG
This thing will rip your lungs out. It's got 9 kills to it's name so far.

I'd prefer grizz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

According to what I have read, the California grizzly (Ursus californicus) was a different specie than The northern grizzly ( Ursus arctos horribilis ). They lived in the foothills and valleys, not the high mountains.Soooooo, I say go for it. Too many people anyway :D
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Be careful what you wish for:
001.JPG
This thing will rip your lungs out. It's got 9 kills to it's name so far.

I'd prefer grizz.
Haha! I couldn't resist. I'm a vindictive bastard - beware. :snipe:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix