The Brewer party, 150 years later

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
georged193
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: The Brewer party, 150 years later

Post by georged193 »

Thanks for this very valuable work-in-progress! For those who want to follow the expedition through the Sierra Nevada, there is a book published by the Yosemite Association (originally published in 1987, paperback republished in 1999. ISBN 0-939666-91-X) entitled "Such A Landscape-William Henry Brewer" written by William Alsup, a High Sierra backpacker and Historian. Alsup makes use of Brewer's diary, Field Notes, Letters and other Reports in this excellent book, and includes photographs he took of important backcountry sites the expedition visited. It may be available in your library or from online booksellers-don't know if they still have it at the Yosemite bookstore. For those who want to get a good view of Mt. Brewer and the Great Western Divide, I recommend taking the trail to Mitchell Peak, located in the Jenny Lakes Wilderness area next to Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. The shortest way is by the Marvin Pass trailhead, but it will be a 2000 ft climb and a 3 mile somewhat-rough dirt road. You can google Mitchell peak and find descriptions online. You can do it as a dayhike, and you can expect some company at the summit from the fancy resort down below (500 bucks per couple per night). I did it as a backpack trip via Rowell Meadow trailhead, and this year the trail crew was busy redoing the leg that drops down to Williams Meadow, which makes a weekend loop trip very feasible. You can carry water up and find little tent sites near the top of the peak if you want to spend the night there-it was worth it! We had a snowbank a couple of weeks ago but it may be gone by now.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

georged193 wrote:Thanks for this very valuable work-in-progress! For those who want to follow the expedition through the Sierra Nevada, there is a book published by the Yosemite Association (originally published in 1987, paperback republished in 1999. ISBN 0-939666-91-X) entitled "Such A Landscape-William Henry Brewer" written by William Alsup, a High Sierra backpacker and Historian. Alsup makes use of Brewer's diary, Field Notes, Letters and other Reports in this excellent book, and includes photographs he took of important backcountry sites the expedition visited. It may be available in your library or from online booksellers-don't know if they still have it at the Yosemite bookstore.
I looked at that when it first came out, and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it right away. It appears to be out of print, but it looks like there are some used copies out there. Anyway, I second the recommendation.

By the way, William H. Alsup also wrote Missing in the Minarets, about the search for Walter Starr in the 1930s. Fascinating read.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Kudos, Tom!
As folks back in the 1860's might've said, this is absolutely GRAND! Yeah, I understand that for a while you won't get to my "favorite" part of their journey (and you know where that would be). I was able to get, and thoroughly enjoy, a copy of Alsup's book at a used book store, but you've tackled so much more. And what a phenomenal story Brewer's writings convey in context about early California! During my first summer job with Sierra NF during college years, I had the fortunate experience to travel cross-country and "explore" on horseback some of the territory around Vermillion Valley and Balloon Dome exactly 100 years after the Brewer party's visit through there, and only later came to realize how close I came to touching some history that was so special to me. I immediately bought and read Clarence King's book as a result. Wrote my own story about it, even. Looking forward to following along with your continuing posts. Thanks much! =D>
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Brewer hasn't been the quickest adopter of social media (not surprising, considering that he died 100 years ago), but he has (finally) joined Twitter and Facebook.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Cool site, Tom.

I can hardly wait for the mountains.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Thanks!

Yosemite this June...SeKi next year...
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Tom

It's about time! Can't you get them to move any faster? ;)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Well thsi is absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much. As a Native son living in "exile" in the Pacific Northwest, this brings back wonderful thoughts.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Thanks, mokelumnekid!
oldranger wrote:Tom

It's about time! Can't you get them to move any faster? ;)

Mike
I could, but then it all would be over sooner! :(
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Brewer et al. have arrived in Yosemite Valley. Finally, this is the beginning of their first foray into the true High Sierra.