When the JMT Was Just 9 Years Old

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When the JMT Was Just 9 Years Old

Post by Jimr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 pm

"Wilderness permit? We don't need no stinkin' wilderness permits".

“Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.”

-John Adams

Harlen
Topix Expert

Post by Harlen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks a lot for that film. We enjoyed every part except for the gut-clenching moment when it looks like the boy almost tripped to his doom over the east face of Whitney. (It occurs at exactly 25.18 in the film.) Mountaineering parents nightmare!

freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by freestone » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:52 am

Old school signage on the JMT, green lettering on a white background, usually posted on some local timber. I'm guessing this was shot in color but has since faded to pink with age.

Fram...

ironmike
Topix Acquainted

Post by ironmike » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 am

Jimr, when you get thru the whole video the narrator (wondering if it was Bill himself or a hired voice) mentioned that the whole trip took 3 months. Amazing planning in an era when even HST wasn’t around 🤣. Thanks for the snow data, it explains a lot in terms of the water flows and residual snowpack even when they got down to SEKI.

How many more years after this did they allow pack animals down the whole length of the JMT? Anyone?

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Yes, I got through it and noted near the end as they mentioned Sept. and panned what seemed obvious to me, Aspens that were turning.
“Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.”

-John Adams

foodwaterattention
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by foodwaterattention » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Wow! Thank you @ironmike and others for the digging and insight. Brings so much more to the film. I'll be sure to update the blog post to your credit.