Place Names

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Place Names

Post by RSC »

Poopenaut Valley.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Arrow Peak has a cool name and a great view from Bench.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

RSC wrote:It's been a long time, maybe 30 years, but I don't recall Hell-For-Sure pass living up to its name.
HFS Pass only lives up to its name if you take the proper route. To wit: as you come up Goddard canyon, DO NOT follow the trail that makes a long, lazy switchback up the beautiful canyon, then back along a lovely bench, gradually gaining altitude painlessly as you admire the view. That would be way too easy. Instead, as soon as you reach the point along the river where you are directly below the pass, head directly for it following the stream that has its headwaters just below the pass. You will cross the trail a time or two along the way but do not be seduced by its siren call - keep your head down and keep chugging directly up over the rocks. You won't see much along the way, as your head will be down and your breathing desperate, your legs on fire. Ah, but the view from the top will be that much sweeter!
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

Not sure if it counts because it is not in the Sierra but, Misery Hill on Mt Shasta lived up to it's name. Milly's Foot Pass didn't because the last 100+ feet definitely isn't a " foot pass", more like hand and foot pass.....
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I plan on passing by Lake Confusion this summer and will report back on my level of bewilderment.

You should get this book: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... lace+names

I've spent many hours looking through it.

The one time I went to Mosquito Lake I never saw one.

How about plant and animal names? I like Mountain Misery and disagree with the name (because I'm not a sheep herder)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Once you visit one of the Lost Lakes in the Sierra, is it still considered lost? :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

My favorites are in Yosemite Valley.

Washington Column -- supposedly you can see our first President's face in just the right lighting. Probably a myth but I've stared at it many times searching for George. I've never seen the face. But there is a guy wearing sunglasses on the north face of Middle Cathedral.

Three Brothers -- There is some uncertainty about the translation of the original Native American name but one version is that it means "Three Frogs Humping".
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

creekfeet wrote:Is Hell-For-Sure Pass really hell, for sure?
It's more like Heck-For-Sure. The original trail, however, came directly up the wall of Goddard Canyon and it must have been hell. The current trail on its east side descends/ascends gently toward/from Martha Lake. The west side of the pass is a short and easy trek from Hell-For-Sure Lake.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

kursavwilage wrote:Not sure if it counts because it is not in the Sierra but, Misery Hill on Mt Shasta lived up to it's name. Milly's Foot Pass didn't because the last 100+ feet definitely isn't a " foot pass", more like hand and foot pass.....
I think that Misery Hill had to come from the fact that as your slogging through the unstable sand and pebbles (if I'm remembering correctly) you think at least you are getting near the summit, only to find out, oh no, that's not the summit, the summit is over there, and you've got more climbing to do. :eek: :crybaby: :puke:
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

This one definitely doesn't count, but I had, just had, to go to Forbidden Lakes in the Trinity Alps after I saw them on a map. Not to bad of a hike there, but if you want to get to the second one, the large granite blocks in your way on one side make it a rather tedious and trying trip, though not forbidden. There are some places in the Sierra that I definitely plan to visit because of the name, like Hell for Sure Pass, but I've read enough about the Enchanted Gorge to know it isn't enchanted and definitely isn't for me. Avalanche Pass had me thinking steep drop offs and wide open views; nope, just a flat spot in a forest.