Study: Winter snow, spring melt triggers earthquakes in CA

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Study: Winter snow, spring melt triggers earthquakes in

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:You'd think they would mention the positive aspect of this. Stress relief from many 2.0 quakes is much better than a huge stress relief from a 6.0 or higher.

But it doesn't relieve stress on the fault(s) elsewhere.. It just transfers it to another part of the fault, unless GB or Herm tell me differently. Heck, I have a fault near Napa that I felt as about 3.3, and the San Andreas it just over the hills from me near Pt. Reyes..

I know from watching 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' that sheep's bladders can be used to prevent earthquakes. :retard:
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Study: Winter snow, spring melt triggers earthquakes in

Post by Jimr »

Can't argue with Monty.
Any slip on a fault will relieve stress here and create additional stress there. My point was more generally about reporting, not about the nuances of Earth movement. This one was only a minor annoyance, but it pointed to me how habitually the idea of fear and worry get injected into public reporting.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.