Golden eagle

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Golden eagle

Post by tomba »

Late last August after I topped the pass from Lewis Creek towards Ireland Lake in Yosemite something caught my eye in the flat rocky field ahead. A dark rock? As I approached, it moved. A person? A bird! Huge! When I got closer he ran on the rocks and tried to take off into the wind. He couldn't. One wing was not right, drooping. After a while he got used to me, and I could take a closer look. A beautiful bird. His beak and especially his talons looked dangerous. Wind ruffled his feathers. He kept a close eye on me, turning to face me as I moved around. I reflected on his life, obviously to be ended soon by starvation or predators. Did he lose a fight? Did an accident happen? He got to experience a human up close. Harmless. No need to be afraid now.

Later I identified him as golden eagle (as far as I can tell), one of the largest birds in North America.

I labeled the pass where I found him "Golden Eagle Pass" - see map. I couldn't find an existing name for this pass.
DSC15632-crop-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Golden eagle

Post by rlown »

bummer. we had a red shouldered hawk hit a tree near my home. I put on my welding gloves and put it in a small dog crate (feisty critters and the talons are strong) and called wildlife rescue. Unfortunately, it broke it's femur too close to the joint and had to be euthanized.

Bad things happen sometimes. Pretty picture though!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Very cool picture!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Here's a pic of a Golden Eagle nailing a rabbit on my way to this years HST meet up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Great shot and a cool experience to see one up close.

I remember the first time I saw one it was out in a field and I thought it was a big dog.

Favorite sighting was when one was circling the Obelisk in Kings Canyon while I was standing on the summit.

Impressive animals!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

We saw two golden eagles chasing a bleating fawn while hiking the Alta trail. They were gone by the time we figured out what was happening.
pakoR
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by pakoR »

Nice photo! Here is a series of photos I shot of a golden eagle tangling with a peregrine falcon.