Is California Ready For The Grizzly Bear, Again?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Related thread from a couple of years ago: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8940

By EZRA DAVID ROMERO • NOV 17, 2015
Valley Public Radio

At one time there were over 10,000 grizzly bears in California, but people’s fear of the enormous animal drove the bears to extinction. The last California grizzly bear was shot in Tulare County in 1924. One group would like to see the bears thrive again. But as Valley Public Radio’s Ezra David Romero reports not everyone thinks the idea is a good one.

The grizzly bear that roamed California less than 100 years ago didn’t just call the heights of the Sierra Nevada home. Wildlife Biologist Evan King and I are at the Kaweah Oaks Preserve just a few miles outside Visalia, a city of 130,000 people.

“Areas where the native species of the grizzly bear lived in California was on the valley floor, coastal regions, grass lands, exactly where we’re at,” says King.

The preserve is supposed to resemble what Central California looked like before humans introduced agriculture into the ecosystem. It’s lined with oak trees, wild grapevines, and willow thickets. The grey fox and the great horned owl call it home. But before the California Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist and I could explore the preserve...

[ read more... ]
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Is California Ready For The Grizzly Bear, Again?

Post by austex »

I like to see wildlife in the wild as much as many here...BUT we have a problem called a drought which has put many black bears scrounging in populated areas such as Tahoe and Mammoth to name the most popular ones. If we have an issue with black bears; just imagine what grizzlies would bring about? YMMV.
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by k9mark »

In a word, no. Not a good idea
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bring 'em back to where they exist the best. Let's see what happens.
Last edited by rlown on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Restore the habitat, Steelhead and Salmon runs first, so they can forage and eat.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

When I first started BP we went to Canada, Washington, Oregon Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and the Sierra. The Sierra was closer with better weather but I liked the idea of someplace really remote and went to Canada. I had a talk one night in a BP camgroud with a couple and they told me of an encounter the night before with a Grizzly. I don't scare easily but this frightened me. We hiked out and from then on stuck to the Sierra. I was always soooooo glad there were no grizzles. Some people think the wildnernes is principly for nature. I believe the wilderness is for PEOPLE to enjoy the nature. I make one vote for people. Someone else might want to vote for the grizzily. I hope no one makes the "both" argument. That is obvious and contrite.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I'll start by saying that I'm not a Grizzly expert but my undergraduate degree was ecology and my graduate degree was field and wildlife biology so I have a reasonable understanding of the logistics for reintroducing species.

It wouldn't work.

Also, I'm very OK with that :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Might be a Sasquatch deterrent, or at least a deterrent to those who report sasquatch. :) I couldn't resist.
sasquatch112908c-570x736.jpg
If Sasquatch do indeed exist, then they are going to come across bears. It is inevitable. So what happens when these two goliaths meet? How do they interact with each other? To me this is a serious question for which the answer seems poorly understood and documented. Do Bigfoot and bears mostly avoid each other, ignore each other, fear each other, or become aggressive? It seems that according to some accounts these encounters can occasionally erupt into epic battles between these heavyweight powerhouses of the wild. While there is little good documentation on interactions between bears and Bigfoot, if these reports are anything to go by it does seem apparent that they are at least not above a good scrap from time to time, and the few such cases there are can perhaps offer us some fascinating insights into how Bigfoot and bears might regard each other, as well as their effect upon each other within their shared domain. Let’s take a look.

It seems that if Bigfoot are indeed real, then their shared habitat with bears would invariably lead to encounters between the two, and these seem to have the potential to perhaps turn violent under the right circumstances. Although there are a few reports that seem to suggest that the two creatures typically mostly avoid each other and that bears will even flee from an approaching Bigfoot, there are a variety of reasons for why they might come to blows. It may be over territory, protecting their young, or perhaps friction due to dwindling habitats. If the two species share similar diets, violent encounters may erupt over competition for dwindling food resources as well. It could even be something as simple as one being startled by the other and going into aggressive mode....
source (if you can call it that): http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/09/b ... t-vs-bear/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

History bears its ugly head:
[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-H93WQKRNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]

I know it's an old post, but.. It's on our state flag..