Is California Ready For The Grizzly Bear, Again?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is California Ready For The Grizzly Bear, Again?

Post by Jimr »

I'm sure we'll all be fine. Until our children start to disappear.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

We'd all be fine, regardless. Bears will hit the Deli's first.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Actually, I think they'd hit the roach coaches first. Push them over and partake, then maybe the deli, then....Starbucks? Yikes, that's where the kids hang out :eek:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If grizzlies get into populated areas, I think our pets will be the first target- small tasty morsels. Where grizzlies have been re-introduced, their main targets have been livestock and game, not people. Occasionally a solo trail runner- pretty stupid thing to do in grizzly country- what were they thinking?

In Wyoming, the grizzlies have done perhaps too good of a job (along with wolves) of cutting down the elk overpopulation, to the chagrin of hunters. However, the reintroduction seems to be working so far but is VERY controversial. Extreme climate events could force the grizzlies down into more populated areas. The big difference is that "more populated" in Wyoming is totally different than in California- the entire state has barely half the population of Sacramento! I think California has simply surpassed the population density to successfully re-introduce grizzlies. Grizzlies certainly could cut down the over-population of costal range deer, but that would likely lead to poor outcomes with human interactions. Consider the cost to public land agencies simply to relocate and reduce encounters with black bears. I cannot see there are enough resources to safely add grizzlies in California (or enough data on long-term effects from states where the grizzlies have been introduced), whether you like the idea or not.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

c'mon.. just a couple or 6 grizzly bears.. Could break up the day. We'd all be required to carry bear cans in everyday life. :)
My horse might not like that, but..