Hidden cabin

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
EagleB
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hidden cabin

Post by EagleB »

Hi all,

I have only made a couple posts on this site and I am trying to step away from my lurker status, so I thought I would ask if you guys knew anything about a semi-hidden cabin that I have come across. It has been a couple years since I went there, so I'm hoping it wasn't destroyed in the fires. I always found it interesting and every once in awhile I would venture over to check it out.

This particular cabin is located not too far from the trailhead at Roads End in Cedar Grove (not sure if I am supposed to be specific with directions :)). I was wondering if it is one of the Shorty Lovelace cabins or somebody else's creation altogether. As far as I know, I haven't been able to find any specific details on it. I actually came across some archaeologists there documenting artifacts several years ago. Unfortunately, I was too young to care about the history and now I am kicking myself for not getting more info from them!

Anyways, do you guys know anything about it?
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hidden cabin

Post by zacjust32 »

I was told by my uncle that at one time rangers had programs and guided trips to the cabin to show visitors the history of the region. I guess long ago it was a resort for wealthy valley folks who wanted to get away from the heat. I'm not sure how common that is anymore, but if you wandered around or knew what general direction it was you could find it. I was told it was North of the trail.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Hopefully someone else gets more detailed but it's probably left over from the mining that was done in the area. There are some mine adits near Roads End. I think they mined copper there.
EagleB
Topix Novice

Post by EagleB »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Hopefully someone else gets more detailed but it's probably left over from the mining that was done in the area. There are some mine adits near Roads End. I think they mined copper there.
I have heard about the mine adits in that area too, but have never been able to find them. I remember when I was a teenager crawling through dense thicket trying to find them based on my uncle's vague description of the location. I gave up on that search quickly. Fortunately, his directions at least led me to the cabin. It makes sense that maybe it was from a miner.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Out of curiosity I had a look at the MRDS (mines) database for the western US and only one shows up in the area:
http://westernmininghistory.com/mine_detail/10008305

No doubt there are more, as Mark Twain once said "A mine is a hole in the ground, owned by a liar".
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have found lists of Shorty's cabins - he had a lot of them, including a few around Courtright Reservoir area. I looked for the registry I found once and couldn't find it, but there are a wikipedia and Facebook page devoted to Shorty. Pretty sure the cabin at Roads End is on the abbreviated lists.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I went to one of the ranger talks at the amphitheater and she had lots of photos and details about the mining done there and who it was that did it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have only made a couple posts on this site and I am trying to step away from my lurker status
A TR of your July trip to Evolution is a good way, or any other older trips that you would like to share with us. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
EagleB
Topix Novice

Post by EagleB »

maverick wrote:
I have only made a couple posts on this site and I am trying to step away from my lurker status
A TR of your July trip to Evolution is a good way, or any other older trips that you would like to share with us. ;)
I guess that is fair :D . Things have been so hectic that I completely forgot about it. I will post it soon, though due to changing circumstances, we ended up having to alter our plans and did a cottonwood/mt Langley trip instead. I can elaborate on that in the TR of course.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

This cabin is not near the trailhead. It was one of Shorty's near Vidette Creek. This will give an idea of the style that Shorty used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-vwPKlFdQ