historical artifact or litter?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: historical artifact or litter?

Post by rlown »

k. no pic. was it shell down or shell up? did you pick it up and look at it? did you report it's approximate position to anyone?

Abalone is not common at altitude as you state.

Please report it to someone.

Heck, I took pics of fresh water clam shells on the West side of Puppet, because, I know sometimes the fish go deep to feed off the bottom. and that's what they eat. I even check their teeth to see if they've been clamming or doing top water.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

The thing about leaving it and reporting it is that it could lead to archaeologists uncovering a whole lot more. Perhaps there was a summer village nearby, or a rendezvous trading location. Things need to be left perfectly in situ so archaeologists can carefully deconstruct the site and document the location of every artifact found. It is amazing what these people are able to determine through their careful processes.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

What I want to know is was it Red, Green, Pink or Black?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by BillyBobBurro »

Red, Green, Pink or Black? I am not that good at ID'ing California abalone species. I think the pinks are generally small and Green and Blacks get big but I am not up to speed on this.

It was about 8" across so that might narrow it down a little.

If anyone knows who would be the right professional folks to contact I would be more then happy to share the location info with them.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

BillyBobBurro wrote:Red, Green, Pink or Black? I am not that good at ID'ing California abalone species. I think the pinks are generally small and Green and Blacks get big but I am not up to speed on this.

It was about 8" across so that might narrow it down a little.

If anyone knows who would be the right professional folks to contact I would be more then happy to share the location info with them.
California Abalone Identification (CDFW) : https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservatio ... Abalone-ID

I would have dropped the table in but phpbb loses the formatting. check out the link.

my guess is it's either red or black, but I didn't see the shell.

Another link with pictures: http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/ ... bspdiv.htm

Report it to the USFS or office that governs the area for GTW.. They will handle which arch should look at it if at all important given where you found it.

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I really just had my tongue in cheek with that question. I would have guessed black, red or green. Russ would know better than I whether greens go that far North. I don't think they do. I think as they disappear, Reds start to appear. I know we don't have Reds is So Cal (these days we hardly have any abalone left). Black, Red & Green could be found from surf line down. Pinks deeper and Whites just thrown in there for fun. They're deep water. I've only seen one White. I collected it at the 150' spot wherever the heck I was diving. It was long ago.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.