wildflower ID: yellow, 5 petals, high elevation, foul smell

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
bcrowell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

wildflower ID: yellow, 5 petals, high elevation, foul smell

Post by bcrowell »

I was on University Peak yesterday. Above 12000' sky pilot (polemonium) was pretty much all there was, except that in one spot around 13000' we ran across some flowers whose most noteworthy characteristic was a really foul smell. I first noticed it when my hand brushed against one, and I noticed how bad my hand smelled afterward. Can anyone ID this plant for me?

Each flower is about 5-10 mm in diameter and has five yellow petals. The petals are narrow and IIRC shaped like a skinny arrowhead. The flowers are in clusters of one to four. The whole plant is about the size of a cereal bowl. I think the leaves were sort of frilly and skinny, maybe a little like carrot leaves.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Re: wildflower ID: yellow, 5 petals, high elevation, foul sm

Post by gdurkee »

Check Ivesia. The leaves have a strong smell, but not what I'd call foul. There's several but not sure what you'd see at alpine elevations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ivesia+ ... 3gqR&dpr=1

Maybe a member of the umbelliferae -- can't think of one at Alpine but that's the carrot/parsley family and the leaves often have a very strong smell.

Don't suppose you took a picture??

g.
bcrowell
Topix Acquainted

Post by bcrowell »

Yeah, I tried to key it out in a couple of books, and I did come up with Ivesia as a possibility. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, and didn't take enough time to really get a good description. I will probably do this route on University Peak again in the future, so next time I'm going to make sure to come back with some good observations.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Surprised neither Tehipite Tom or SSSDave have chimed in on this.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote:Surprised neither Tehipite Tom or SSSDave have chimed in on this.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12944 :nod:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix