Sierra Nevada Natural History

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra Nevada Natural History

Post by rlown »

So.. I was looking up Carp and Sierra sucker (thanks, Mike), and I found this little tidbit as well:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6h4q4d ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but... It does look interesting covering flora and fauna. Some pics but mostly descriptions of "things" Sierra. You can get to the other pages not previewed, but I didn't try to hard. You have the reference to the book and get creative.

Apologize if this has already been referenced.

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Nevada Natural History

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

When a backcountry ranger I used to carry an earlier version of Storer and Usinger along with Medicine for Mountaineering on all my travels. One for obvious reasons and the other for in the unlikely :^o case I did not know the answer to a visitor's question I would have a ready reference. Added a little weight but I was younger then.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
seniorstinky
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by seniorstinky »

Excellent book. It was a required text for a field biology class I took. I never leave home without it now. It covers tidbits of the geological history and has most flora, fauna, and fungi in it. I picked it up at Barnes and Noble for about $15 if my memory serves me correctly. Although, for identifying plants and animals I wouldn't recommend this book. It is more of a reference resource instead of identification. I recommend the John Muir Laws field guide for identifying things.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I took a class (like I needed a class) and got some college credit. Other than Ed classes this was my favorite.