Summit City Cemetery

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Summit City Cemetery

Post by Vaca Russ »

020.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG
024.JPG
032.JPG
033.JPG
034.JPG
035.JPG
037.JPG
039.JPG
SUMMIT CITY / MEADOW LAKE

IN JUNE OF 1863, THE TRAPPER HENRY HARTLEY DISCOVERED GOLD BEARING ORE HERE AND STAKED OUT THE EXCELSIOR COMPANY CLAIMS. EXAGGERATED REPORTS AND 1865 MARKET PANIC IN THE COMSTOCK MINES OF VIRGINIA CITY BROUGHT THOUSANDS OF MINERS OVERNIGHT TO THE SUPPOSED “LITTLE COMSTOCK” OF SUMMIT CITY. WITHIN TWO YEARS AN INCORPORATED TOWN, RENAMED MEADOW LAKE, GREW TO ENCOMPASS 160 ACRES WITH 4,000 SUMMER RESIDENTS AND OVER 500 BUILDINGS, INCLUDING 200 BUSINESS HOUSES, A STOCK EXCHANGE, DAILY NEWSPAPER, POST OFFICE, SCHOOL, 6 BREWERIES AND 80 SALOONS. STREETS WERE LAID OUT IN GRID FASHION, WITH A 9,000 SQUARE FOOT PLAZA ON THE LAKESHORE. AN EXCURSION VESSEL FERRIED REVELERS TO FOUR HURDY-GURDY HOUSES AT THE LAKE’S UPPER END. THE WINTER OF 1866-67 BROUGHT 30 FEET OF SNOW, WITH SNOWSHOE THOMPSON DELIVERING THE MAIL THROUGH CISCO. IN ALL, THE EIGHT STAMP MILLS IN A DISTRICT OF 10,910 CLAIMS FAILED TO EXTRACT THE EXPECTED GOLD FROM ITS “REBELLIOUS ORE”. THE OPTIMISM FADED, AND THE TOWN DECLINED WITH LIKE RAPIDITY. JULY OF 1869 FOUND 60 RESIDENTS. BY 1873, ONLY HARTLEY “THE HERMIT” REMAINED. HIS GRAVE IS ON A HILLSIDE TO THE WEST OF TOWN.

DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 17, 1995,

CLAMPYEAR 6000

BY

WM. BULL MEEK - WM. MORRIS STEWART

MAJOR WM. DOWNIE

CHIEF TRUCKEE

CHAPTERS OF E CLAMPUS VITUS

I don't have much to add. Interesting people being laid to rest as recently as 2002.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Summit City Cemetery

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Very interesting. I was headed this way on Friday with the intent of hiking to the Baltimore Town site. (Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research and ended up having to turn around on a 4x4 road my car could not handle.) Is there much else left there? Foundations, machinery, etc?

Thanks for posting.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.