Pick and Shovel Mine

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Wehmeyer
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Pick and Shovel Mine

Post by Wehmeyer »

My father was one of the partners establishing this mining claim which was to my knowledge the last working claim in the sierra wilderness. It was located somewhere between Goodale Pass and Fish Camp, not to give away too much. If you've been there, you would know.

I am gathering information with the intent of an informative web page about the mine, its history, as many stories as I can find to add to my father's, which I wrote down before he died. Please comment if you have any stories, photos, info. Especially any info about the other 2 original partners and their families. That would be families of Glenn Burns, Auberry CA (I beleive) in the 1960's and Mr. Baldwin (Mt Baldwin) of Coalinga CA also in the 1960's.
Morrisons
Topix Newbie

Re: Pick and Shovel Mine

Post by Morrisons »

Hi,
I am Alan Morrison's granddaughter, and I was just sitting around with my father about packing in to stay at the Pick and Shovel mine for a week or so in the summers when I was growing up. Glenn was very close friends and partners with my grandfather. I may have met you when I was young. Our family has some of the passed down stories of when they were working the mine. The funniest one was about the building of the helicopter pad! Get in touch if you are still on here!
All the best,
Heather Morrison and Bill Morrison
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST, to the both of you! Small world.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Original post was in Jan of 2012. Don't know if OP is still around. It would be interesting if a mod could get them together..... ;)
Wehmeyer
Topix Newbie

Post by Wehmeyer »

In response to the Morrisons:
Life has had many twists and turns. It has been 9 years since you replied to my post re the pick and shovel mine, but I am just seeing it. Would live to get in touch if that is possible.
Thanks so much,
Heidi Wehmeyer
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Did a little sleuthing and found that there are two structures remaining near the site of the mine!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Yeah, sadly the larger one has been renovated then abandoned a few times over the years - some spray foam, milk crates, detritus. Felt like a packer set up camp there within the past decade or so. There's a well worn horse cut through crossings nearby that fades away pretty quickly.

The mine itself isn't that interesting, just a small cut out gorge. Supposedly mostly a silver mine, with some copper and lead according to a mining site aggregator.

For research purposes, it might help to know it was claimed as the "beetlebug mine".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not sure that is a valid claim can't find any records of it, unlike pick and shovel.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

One of the plaques list it as a discovery monument (we found a couple and I'm sure there's more demarcating it), so perhaps that's what they called it before making a formal claim?

Or maybe they checked a map later and realized beetlebug wasn't the nearest lake? :p