Ingredients to "augment" dehydrated dinners?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by artrock23 »

On multi-day trips, I use various dehydrated backpackers meals for my dinners (Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, etc.). Depending on the meal, they can be a bit on the bland side, as i'm sure many here will agree.

What are some lightweight ingredients you add to these meals to improve your dining experience?
The hermit
Topix Regular

Re: Ingredients to "augment" dehydrated dinners?

Post by The hermit »

Parmesan cheese. I use freshly grated. The packets work in a pinch
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

And Ground black pepper. I grind some before i leave in a spice grinder and put it in a really small plastic container. I have also mixed up spices that i think help some of the freeze dried crap and put them in snack ziplocks. red pepper, paprika, dried minced onions, etc.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

you could just take food.... dehydrated leftovers work great.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

sounds like work to dehydrate. easier to fix some good base products (if you pick correctly) with admonishments.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

WORK to dump stuff on a tray instead of in a container and putting it in the fridge?

Yeah... ok.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

look at the OP ask. There are really great base packages out there to build off of for a meal. It's not like he's asking do I need to carry extra TP with MH Lasagne w/meat sauce. (yes, btw)

That aside, Look at things like chicken breasts, green beans, or go off the chart with lentils and add some extra indian spices. Add Garlic. Bring some Ginger.

If it's a standard meal, know what works with that and amp it up. Heck, it's in almost any recipe book. expect that a prepak will be bland and do anything but add salt to it.

Russ
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

The spices should help, and I found a big package (dried) French fried onions. I've seen dehydrated mushrooms, too, which would go nicely in the MH beef stroganoff.

Sometime soon, i'll look into getting a food dehydrator. For now though, with a trip next weekend, i'm looking to find easy additions to just add into pre-made backpacker's meals. Costco used to carry a great mixed dehydated vegetable mixture, but, alas, that was years ago.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am nuts about nuts! Sliced almonds go well with a lot of meals. I also take margarine and olive oil and add a tablespoon to each meal - adds calories for the least amount of weight. My latest spice obsession is Tajin seasoning (lime and hot pepper), however, it is salty and fd meals are already quite salty which makes adding anything to them tricky because a lot of additions are also salty. Sun dried tomatoes are good. The best supplement is fish. I just returned from a trip where I had fish with every meal- what a luxury!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I get a good crop of green onions in the spring, too much to eat. These go into the dehydrator and are used the next few month, particularly for backpacking.