How do you prepare and cook your trout while backpacking?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How do you prepare and cook your trout while backpacking

Post by maverick »

Markskor purchased his frypan decades ago mail order from Japan.
Well there it is, all the companies I checked, non had anything close to 10". You may be able to find something on E-bay, good luck.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

As the OP original poster, I ended the opening with:

I'll post some of my own ways later. ...David

But then noticed I never did respond to the thread later. :( So since someone just revived this 9 year old thread will have to make some input.

Next weekend 3 of us will be up at Twin and Island Lake in Desolation as our warm-up backpack this summer where we expect to put a few fish in the pan. Was just a week ago that I bought this years license ($48 !!!). Then another 3 weeks hence we will be out on a 9-day trip over Duck Pass to lots of lakes where I ought to find at least some time to pry myself away from photography and put a real dent in that purchase. My bro Joe's main interest is trout. In the mean time a couple images to get the rest of you in the mood this summer. These two image were from August 4, 2005 of some bigs we caught below Mt. Mendel that fed 5 of us with a big lunch. But briefly, our usual strategy is after trout are well done and relatively dry, to remove all the bones and skin and then mix the flesh in with rice.

and a bit later...
KingMouth
Topix Acquainted

Post by KingMouth »

I've been looking for a large pan also.

This is the biggest so far:
http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/ev ... pan-eca443
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

I've got an easy peasy technique. I put them back in the lake, stream or creek from which they came. ;) ;)
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard