How do you prepare and cook your trout while backpacking?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Sharp Rock »

mountaineer wrote:
Lightning Dog wrote:I just had my first experience catching and enjoying trout while backpacking.
You have finally LIVED!
You guys are killin me!!! Gotta get back out soon! :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How do you prepare and cook your trout while backpacking?

Post by maverick »

Trout ceviche which involves zero cooking, and eaten with a tortilla.
Trout curry with sun-dried tomatoes and pita bread, or naan from Trader's Joe.
Trout with almonds and butter which is a classic.
Trout crusted with crumbled wasabi soy nuts.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hey, Mav. Post a ceviche recipe. i'll give it a spin. Probably will involve taking freshies for the salsa/veg components, but how refreshing would that be with something like a mango salsa?

Below the fireline, I do the double wrap tinfoil in coals. no need to turn them either if there are coals under and over the fish. Fresh lemon or orange slices inside the fish. olive oil around the fish so the skin can crisp, and lots of pepper.

Above the fireline, the skillet with olive oil and pepper always works. we fry with the head as well, as the cheek meat is a pretty tasty morsel.
Kris
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kris »

Tempura'd is a great way to batter your filets. Powder weighs next to nothing and compliments the fish very well. Rehyrdated larger vegi's is also fun to tempura. Eat with couscous and you've got a good meal. Oh yeah, if you haven't tried any of those dehyd. pizza meals give them a go. Not bad, and what they use for the crust acts as a very good stand alone bread.
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot
tightline
Topix Acquainted

Post by tightline »

This past couple of summers, kind of just on a whim because I like certain kinds of fish soup, we poached some trout---don't overcook, and be careful on this because it's handy to hold onto the tail to flake the meat off with a fork (there is kind of a technique to this but it's easy) into a bowl or pan. Be aware that smaller trout poach in a hurry too. Heat up some Lipton onion soup-however much you prefer, you can actually cook it down to where it's relatively thick almost like a sauce if you want, or not if you want...........mix in the trout. I'll tell you what, it's damn good. Easy...and you can't pack lighter than the Lipton soup. It's gotten me to wondering if there is some kind of dehydrated chowder type mix out there but I have not looked around that much. With soup though I am sure there a lot of other options. Anyway, I cooked this up for a bunch of guys in their 20's who brought too many trout back to camp, their limits but man I was like what are you doing you'll never eat all those...anyway, I did that recipe----those fish got scarfed.
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

I leave for a trip tomorrow, so I have been daydreaming about this very topic at work all day...

I have tried many, more elaborate methods of cooking backcountry trout, but I always come back to the same simple method, partly because of the ease of preperation, partly due to the low weight of the ingredients, but mostly because I like it best.

I use a MSR Superfly stove since it has a somewhat large burner so I can get a good, dispersed heat along with a MSR Duralight 7.25" non-stick frypan with lid. I rarely have anything stick and the lid aids in quick cooking and steaming if desired. Unfortunatley, I had to buy the whole cookset in order to get the lid with the rest of the set going largely unused as I use titanium for most of my cooking.

The plan is pretty simple, heat a little olive oil and throw the fillets or, if small, whole cleaned trout in. I usually cut off the heads and tails due to my pan size. About midway through the cooking process, I drizzle about half a lemon juice packet (Coffee Bean) on the fillets or in the body cavity and add thyme, garlic powder, (and sometimes rosemary) along with a little salt and some fresh cracked pepper from my GSI pepper grinder. This is one of my luxury items I have grown to be unable to go on a trip without, along with my Snow Peak double wall titanium cup, but that's another story. I have used fresh garlic in the past and have found it burns easily and often overpowers all the others spices, so I stick with powder. It can be easily used to spice other meals as well. Anyway, let the trout cook until done and then add the remainder of the lemon juice just before serving.

It is dowright delicious and the natural trout taste shines through. :yummy: If your group has two or more stoves and frypans/pots, I have found that sauteeing up some almond slivers in butter (preferably) or oil and then adding some already rehydrated Mountain House green beans along with some salt makes a pretty good side dish. Fresh, pan-sauteed, herb trout with green beans almondine at 11,000 feet - Life is good. It's not neccessary, but on trips with the wife, I bring along a little Chardonnay and \:D/
GearChukker
Topix Acquainted

Post by GearChukker »

Where fires are allowed... double wrap tinfoil in the coals with a little olive oil, a slice or two of lemon, a dash of garlic powder, and a dash of lemon pepper. I try not to go too heavy with any seasoning as wild trout is awesome all on it's own. If no fires then they go into a small non-stick pan with similar seasonings, but they get cut up to fit, definitely no head and tail.

Once done, they get eaten directly, in tortillas as trout tacos, or in pasta with a pesto sauce...
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I don't like carrying a lot of weight, and measure my pack by ounces. So a skillet is out of the question--even an 8 oz one!

So we use a couple of different methods. (BTW, I usually practice C&R--probably only keep fish once or twice a season). That said, the way I originally learned to cook fish is still the simplest and easiest. I take a couple of alder branches ( you know what alders are--they are the bushes in the stream that always take a couple of your flies and keep them!) and slice off the leaves and put a point on them. These then become skewers. I feed these through the mouth of the trout, then through the backbone near the tail, and grill the fish like hot-dogs over a fire. Works perfectly. Doesn't require oil or a heavy pan. And you can burn the alder stick later, to elimate any cooking smell.

But that won't work above the campfire restrictions, sadly enough. We sometimes fry up the fish in our lightweight pot over a pocket-rocket...but that is a pretty inefficient way to cook them. Above 10K feet, we usually don't eat fish.

On the other hand, my wife is a professional chef, so she has also used a package of sliced almonds and some instant chicken soup to make a sauce for the trout...pour that over noodles and you have trout almondine. Very yummy, especially with a nice bottle of Pinot Blanc from Alsace...

And you can forget your pounds and ounces if you a packing wine! That's a recipe for a short pack trip, or maybe one with a mule? grin.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
nevadasmith
Topix Acquainted

Post by nevadasmith »

Lately I have been doing the 100% raw routine in the back woods. unless I am in the camp fire
zones, I'll cook a little over the open fire by placing foil wrapped trout in the fire. I'll add some
butter, rosemary, salt, & pepper usually. when I find wild onions along the stream banks I will place them in the foil with the fish.
in the high elevations where I prefer to be, I place small chunks of raw trout into an aluminum bowl, & I pour some premixed(at home) olive oil/wasabi/salt/sesami seeds
onto the trout & mix in some pickled ginger. & I'm good to go.
& I usually have some ack mak crackers that go really good with my sierrashimi.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nevadasmith wrote:Lately I have been doing the 100% raw routine in the back woods. ...

in the high elevations where I prefer to be, I place small chunks of raw trout into an aluminum bowl, & I pour some premixed(at home) olive oil/wasabi/salt/sesami seeds
onto the trout & mix in some pickled ginger. & I'm good to go.
& I usually have some ack mak crackers that go really good with my sierrashimi.
Wow.. you must want to be the next poster child for "Monsters Inside Me." More power to you if you like it raw. I'd at least do a ceviche to partially "cook" it with some lemon or orange.

I generally cut the fish in half if too big for the pan.. Some lakes, we cut off the tail, cook the heads for the cheeks, but lately..

Saute' the onion/garlic first.. set aside.. Add more olive oil, cook, the fish, turning 3 times. If it's cold, my foil covers the pan, to keep the heat in; foil removed in the picture. On the last turn, I cut an orange in half and squeeze it over all the fish.. That with the oil makes a great last minute drizzle. Fish is removed when i can peel the bones easily from the filet.
fish.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.