Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Post by The hermit »

Good show, Willie cash,good show
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels

Post by sambieni »

I am piecing together my menu(s) for summer trips. This is my typical plan:

Breakfast:
2 Instant Oatmeal Packets + Powder Milk + Protein Powder + Dried Fruit/Nut and 2 Starbucks Via for coffee

Lunch:
Large Tortilla with Justin's Peanut Butter and Bonne Maman Jelly Packets. 1-2 of each and 1-2 Tortillas OR Tortilla with Beef Jerky/Mayo/Mustard. Sometimes tuna packet, but they are heavier and stinkier.

Snacks:
Dried Mango from Trader Joes. 1 CLif Builder Bar. 1 Clif Bar (optional) a/o Trail Mix or Almonds
1 Gatorade Packet during daytime for rehydration

Dinner
Mac N Cheese w/ Just Veggies/Morels tossed in. Sometimes with salmon packet
or
Mary Jane's Chilimac or Bare Burrito or similar
or
Mujadra (Lentils/Rice) by Osem sometimes w/ Salmon
or Similar
Few bites of a chocolate bar. MAybe Tea or Choc Milk

I don't fish. Dinners aren't gourmet, but filling and tasty. Semi instant. Sometimes MAry Janes just in a bag and sometimes boil in pot.
I usually pack about 3,000 calories or so /day. I often leave trail w/ a bit extra than I need, which isn't ideal. But I backpack only 1-2 trips a year so still haven't gotten hang of proper "titration" and meal planning.

This summer I am gonna experiment a touch with Patagonia Provisions meals. A bit more $$, but look like a healthy, good base and maybe toss in freeze dried cheese a/o salmon for more flavor.

I try and get down towards 1.5lbs / day, but never happens. Usually works out to about 1.8 (sometimes 2) lbs / day