Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Post by AlmostThere »

The dog only gets dog treats, dog food, occasional cheese or salami/pepperoni/jerky bits. I don't believe in letting dogs eat your food. It gets you a dog that begs whenever you eat anything. And she only gets the cheese or meat when hiking; at home she gets sent away if she's eyeballing anything that goes in my mouth....

I will be putting all into the canister - I also put in fish bait, after figuring out that bears like that too.

We're going from Maxson out the river, to see about heading over Blackcap Pass, on Friday. Might just go the trail all the way to the basin. It's a mixed group and I'm not absolutely certain whether all the people will make it - but all are purportedly experienced backpackers, so am fairly sure we won't have an issue. Sometimes I get out-hiked on these, sometimes we end up doing something slightly different... I get ideas for food from people - I found out about the dehydrated WinCo bulk bin hummus and refried beans on a hike. But most just do the boring thing and take the same ol' same ol' trail bars.

:mad: UCH. Tired of the Clif bricks.

I doubt I will feed the dog any fish. That generally gets snarfed up by the hikers... I don't want to chance her getting a tiny rib stuck in her mouth or gut. Cheese, btw, is not as bad as fish but also makes them gassy... they like it but it's not really so digestible.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

Rlown is referring to the Salmon poisoning disease that can occur from a dog eating raw fish, particularly salmon and trout. There's a thread about it in the fishing hole and I am glad I read it. My dog wanders and finds stuff when i take her fishing. I need to be more vigilant in case she get's into a dead one.

Back to the lunch thing.

I have found that a nice lunch some place along the trail carries me well. I tried a couple of the cold rehydrate lunches from these guys:

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Lunch-c6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The burger wrap and the cheese spread were pretty damn good!! Pricey, but I don't get to go out nearly as much as i should so I style a bit. I have been considering whipping up a hot lunch on certain days and why not?? Time and fuel is all it takes and you get something a bit more satisfying.
WillieCash
Topix Novice

Post by WillieCash »

For lunch, I bring along 7 almonds.

I make sure they are extra dry so I don;t take unnecessary water weight by placing them in my dehydrator for a week.

Then, I use the back of a butter knife to scrape off the skin from each as it doesn;t have nutritional value and I can save .03 grams in carrying weight.

After that I place then in the cellophane that comes from a pack of cigarettes so I don't carry too much weight in the plastic of a regualr ziplock bag.

I sit down at my destination and carefully unpack the contents, laying each skinned, dry almond out and counting them to be sur enone fell out in pack so I don't have to carry that extra weight back down the mountain.

Then I grill up a pound of ribeye steak and have about a half-pound of bourbon.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi WillieCash,

Welcome to HST!
Willie wrote:
I sit down at my destination and carefully unpack the contents, laying each
skinned, dry almond out and counting them to be sure none fell out in pack
so I don't have to carry that extra weight back down the mountain.

Then I grill up a pound of ribeye steak and have about a half-pound of bourbon.
:lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
WillieCash
Topix Novice

Post by WillieCash »

Thanks!

Great site with stellar info!
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Medjool Dates are lightweight, taste great, and have lots of calories, and they go down a lot easier than those darn bars.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Good show, Willie cash,good show
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels

Post by sambieni »

I am piecing together my menu(s) for summer trips. This is my typical plan:

Breakfast:
2 Instant Oatmeal Packets + Powder Milk + Protein Powder + Dried Fruit/Nut and 2 Starbucks Via for coffee

Lunch:
Large Tortilla with Justin's Peanut Butter and Bonne Maman Jelly Packets. 1-2 of each and 1-2 Tortillas OR Tortilla with Beef Jerky/Mayo/Mustard. Sometimes tuna packet, but they are heavier and stinkier.

Snacks:
Dried Mango from Trader Joes. 1 CLif Builder Bar. 1 Clif Bar (optional) a/o Trail Mix or Almonds
1 Gatorade Packet during daytime for rehydration

Dinner
Mac N Cheese w/ Just Veggies/Morels tossed in. Sometimes with salmon packet
or
Mary Jane's Chilimac or Bare Burrito or similar
or
Mujadra (Lentils/Rice) by Osem sometimes w/ Salmon
or Similar
Few bites of a chocolate bar. MAybe Tea or Choc Milk

I don't fish. Dinners aren't gourmet, but filling and tasty. Semi instant. Sometimes MAry Janes just in a bag and sometimes boil in pot.
I usually pack about 3,000 calories or so /day. I often leave trail w/ a bit extra than I need, which isn't ideal. But I backpack only 1-2 trips a year so still haven't gotten hang of proper "titration" and meal planning.

This summer I am gonna experiment a touch with Patagonia Provisions meals. A bit more $$, but look like a healthy, good base and maybe toss in freeze dried cheese a/o salmon for more flavor.

I try and get down towards 1.5lbs / day, but never happens. Usually works out to about 1.8 (sometimes 2) lbs / day