Trader Joe's Quick cook barley and other grains

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
cherron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Trader Joe's Quick cook barley and other grains

Post by cherron »

Trader Joe's (Sacramento area stores) now has quick cook barley and other grains. I used to buy Mothers brand quick cook barley and add freeze dried vegies, bay leaf, boullion cube, sometimes freeze dried chicken. At camp, I bring it to a boil, turn it off and let sit for 10 minutes then heat again, if it is too firm. Top it with a good shred of parmesan cheese. Barley not only packs alot of calories per prepared cup, but also contains quite a lot list of vitamins and minerals.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Re: Trader Joe's Quick cook barley and other grains

Post by Hobbes »

cherron wrote:Trader Joe's (Sacramento area stores) now has quick cook barley and other grains. I used to buy Mothers brand quick cook barley and add freeze dried vegies, bay leaf, boullion cube, sometimes freeze dried chicken. At camp, I bring it to a boil, turn it off and let sit for 10 minutes then heat again, if it is too firm. Top it with a good shred of parmesan cheese. Barley not only packs alot of calories per prepared cup, but also contains quite a lot list of vitamins and minerals.
Do you use freezer bags or stir the food directly into the hot water pot? Freezer bags rock because you then don't have to clean the pot afterwards - it's used solely for boiling water. (Of course, you have to pack out the used freezer bags vs washing dishes with soap in the outback.)

In addition, if you buy a cheap, $.50 cent bubble envelope (large), you can place the freezer bag inside and let it sit for 5-10 minutes without letting the food get cold. The same insulation trick can be used with pots as well, but typically it's heavier foil wrapped + it has to be configured for the pot.
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Re: Trader Joe's Quick cook barley and other grains

Post by cherron »

RE: the freeer bags, I have used seal-a-meal bags in that way, but now I usually just put several meals in one zip lock and just measure out what is needed for a meal into my pot. I made a pot cozy out of an insulated car window shade and it works really well, in the same manner as your bubble wrap. The nice thing about the window car shade is that the foil side is doesn't melt (just use aluminum tape to make join the sections.)