Food strategies for quick 1/2 night trips?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Food strategies for quick 1/2 night trips?

Post by maverick »

I thought you bring along some sort of pick me up on all your trips Mike!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I bring more when Kathy is along and it is a short trip. Oh just noticed that Crystal Lite is now making margarita flavored mix! And Walmart is making a generic lime mix and some one else is putting out lime and lemon crystals (unsweetened).

At my age one seeks as much pleasure in food, drink, and XXXXXXXXXX as he can. I see no merit in depriving myself of pleasure.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just did a short trip, with 2 nights at the same campsite, and took an avacado (it would have gone bad if I had left it home). It was delicious! and calorie packed too. If I am just doing an overnighter, I often buy a deli sandwhich on the way to the trailhead and have that for dinner. If you cannot keep it cold, then delete the mayo or eggs. Then apple turnovers with bacon for breakfast - perfect complement to a cup of coffee.