3.5 oz flat pouch chicken breast

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I previously got 3.5 oz pouches of Chicken Breast which worked well mixed with noodles or rice on the trail. The packets were flat and pliable so they were easy to pack. However I no longer see these at the local Safeway or Lucky where I got them before (I'm in San Francisco).

Have you seen these pouched chicken breasts anywhere else locally (or even to order online)? I see even Amazon has them listed but "out of stock", so maybe they were discontinued. Maybe there's an alternative I haven't found yet?

There are 6 or 8 types of tuna, and several types of salmon packed this way, but having a non-fish option would be nice, especially when camped in problematic bear areas where food odor is a consideration & one doesn't want to attract bears to dinner. There does seem to be a new type available ... chunk chicken ... but it comes in a 7 oz package, so they're too bulky, and too big for solo dinners.

Thanks! :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3.5 oz flat pouch chicken breast

Post by AlmostThere »

Try http://www.minimus.biz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - they had it last time I ordered from them.
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

They don't seem to have it either. Before posting here I did contact Bumble Bee and apparently it hasn't been discontinued. Strange, I wonder why nobody is stocking it.

Anyway thanks of the tip, that's an interesting site for other stuff.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I was going to suggest Packit Gourmet but looks like they are out as well.

I have gotten 3 oz cans of chicken - the cans are just about the same weight empty as a foil bag. Found them at Vons and Walmart as well as Save Mart locally.

I've started getting 10 oz cans of cooked canned chicken and dehydrating it.
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Ok well, thanks for checking. It sounds like the cans could be viable, just a little harder to pack. Or I'll just eat lots of salmon, tuna, and... Spam :). If anyone had suggested a few months ago that I would eat Spam, I'd have said they were gravely mistaken. But I had some mixed with rice & a bullion cube on a trip last week and it actually tasted good. I guess I must have been hungry :).

Oh and I discovered packets of yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil, 190 calories. I guess that would be better for me than chicken anyway given the planned duration of my trip (4 wks). Even with some fat to lose its looking like I'm a little light on calories so far in my meal plan.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

bheiser wrote:
Oh and I discovered packets of yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil, 190 calories. I guess
that would be better for me than chicken
anyway given the planned duration of my
trip (4 wks).
Well maybe not. http://www.edf.org/oceans/mercury-alert ... a-safe-eat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Hmmm yeah, there's that. Well I guess this summer i'll have my year's allotment of tuna :).
hiker00
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by hiker00 »

I once found the small packets of chicken and liked them and now know why I can no longer find them. I prefer chicken and have been carrying the small cans for the last couple of years. This year I found that Packit Gourmet has freeze dried chicken and have tried it and like it.

Patty
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I saw the chicken pouches at my local WalMart last night. They were not in the same place as the tuna but only about 10' further down the isle.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Post by cherron »

I had the same problem. I used the and then couldn't find the pouches again. I used it to make curry chicken salad, with mayo packets, curry, cashews, unsweetened flaked coconut, and dried mango pieces, and pre-packaged cooked rice. We wrapped it all up in large burrito wraps. They were a big hit!
I hope I can find those pouches again. They are pretty darn convenient.