MRE's | High Sierra Topix  

MRE's

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

MRE's

Postby poorflyfan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 am

Hi all, So I'm beginning to get into multiday hiking, gearing up an such. I'v enjoyed trying some of the recipes posted on weekend camping trips with the kids. However, I was wondering about just taking MRE's on a trip. Thoughts?

Boyd

poorflyfan
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: MRE's

Postby Troutdog 59 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:19 am

I hiked with an AF Capt a couple of times and MREs were his go to meal. They are actually pretty tasty (had the bean and bacon one myself), but are pretty heavy with all the packaging, heat packs, snacks, etc. I would think if you broke them down they would be fine, but then again, I like the freeze dried meals others hate so maybe I'm not a good source for this one :D .
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby DonDeadman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 pm

I've discovered MREs have a few pros and cons to their use in backpacking:

Pro:
Good source of high-calorie food.
Some are actually pretty good
Well-rounded meals (usually).
Included heaters can remove need for stoves/cookware

Cons:
* Heavy
* Lots of packaging, which means lots of trash...and because of fire restrictions, that means you have to carry it all out...and it's bulky.
* To put it bluntly, they sit in you like a rock. And personally, constipation is tops in miserable feelings for me...especially when walking many miles.

For an overnight trip, I'd certainly take them. But for a multiple-day trip, I'd suggest more freeze-dried foods in ziplock baggies. They compact much better.

But to each his own, right? :D
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Postby poorflyfan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Apprecaite the pro's/con's Don. Never thought about the confounds of constipation - which I've experienced with em - on the trip.
poorflyfan
Topix Novice

Postby dave54 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:19 pm

They are designed to have a near infinite shelf life while being stored in sub zero to 180 degree conditions at all elevations. The trade off is to get that kind of stability mean using only the kinds of ingredients that ...uhhh... kinda stick with you, and have more packaging than food (there's a reason for all the multiple layers of thick impermeable plastic).

So pick out the ingredients you like and repackage in waxed paper or similar.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Return to Backcountry Food Topix