Some newly found items

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Some newly found items

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just packed up food for 35 days (my Wind River trip). I found a few new items at Walmart.

Tajin Classico seasoning - several very small plastic bottles in a triangular package. Found these in the produce section. Hot pepper-lime seasoning. Each tiny bottle has 0.35 oz and weighs .55 ounces with the bottle. Perfect size for 3-5 day trip.

Packaged tuna (with water drained) now comes in little cups vs. the flat pouches. May be easier to get the tuna out of the package.

Flat pouches of Spam. Ok but not great in boiled dinners - probably would be better fried.

In snack section- small 1 oz. packets of turkey sausage slices and salami. No refrigeration needed.

Instant barley. Needs only 10 minutes cooking. Same time as instant rice. I usually just boil 1 min then turn off heat- put the pot in a cozy, where it finishes. For long trips, a bit of barley is a nice change from the usual pasta and rice.

McCormick now has lots of their spices in smaller packaging.

Sesame honey trail bars - also in the produce section.

Large packages of fd mushrooms - also in the produce section. Very reasonably priced.

The camping section also carries several FD meals, but they are expensive (about $8 a meal).

Trader Joes also has a baked seaweed snack that weighs nothing - good to add to miso soup.

Our Trader Joes also carries a good selection of fd fruit at prices a lot less than Whole Foods. I found a package of FD grapes! They also have FD pomogrants and blueberries (quite expensive). I like the fd pinapple best because it does not crumble to dust when packed. I had to go to Whole Foods to find fd tomatoes and corn and other vegetables.

I buy all my nuts and seeds at Trader Joes - best prices.

And if you are looking for textured vegetable protein, our local store, Raleys/Bel Aire has it in the bulk organic section. For those who "poo-poo" TVP, look at the ingredients in your very expenisve FD meals, and you find that this additive is a major ingredient. I just add a tablespoon to every meal to add protein. You do not even notice it.

And, Walmart so far is the only place I can find Nido - whole dried milk.

In the baking section of most stores you can also get dried egg whites (add just a little to a meal to add protein) and dried buttermilk.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Re: Some newly found items

Post by Ikan Mas »

Thanks the info. Always on the lookout for new sources for the trips.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Good deal thanks
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

I saw costco now has a box of mountain house fd meals for 40 to 45 bucks. Assorted meals, etc. I have to go back and take a closer look
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Daisy

Thanks for the tips. By the way I intentionally crush my fd berries, then mix the powder with my plain instant oatmeal(to tell the truth it wasn't 'til this year that I started doing this. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :o ). Cuts down the volume and adds flavor and sweetness to the oatmeal. Also add hemp seeds to the oatmeal to add a little protein, calories, and omega fatty acids.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Great find on the Tajin! We love the stuff and I put it in a 2" ziplock so we can carry just enough per outing. It's great for seasoning up meals. On those rare days where one finds wild mangoes growing in the Sierra...even better, ha ha!

The Costco deal on Mountain House is excellent, and they typically stock it over in the "preparedeness area" rather than the camping section, at least in our area.

I like the idea of the crushed DH berries in the oatmeal.