Chocolate Rave

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Chocolate Rave

Post by maverick »

As some of you know I am a chef and sometimes this means conducting chocolate
tasting (yeah I know life is difficult, but someone has to do it :D ).
Any ways this is a rave about a fantastic chocolate that my taste buds are just going
nuts over, as is everyone's else who has tasted it.
It is made by Theo, and called a Salted Almond Dark Chocolate 70% Bar.
Let me tell you folks this is a chocoholics crack, the dark chocolate compliments the
salt & almonds perfectly unlike other Theo, or other brand bars that use salt.
The key is that they use a higher percentage chocolate (others use around 50%) and
the salt is mixed into the chocolate as opposed to sprinkled on top.
There is a wave of dark chocolate followed by a smaller but complimenting salt
wave that is so perfect, followed by a mellow almond flavor, ending with a
slightly salty after taste, but nothing overpowering. Wow.
This will is the perfect bar of chocolate to share with yourself or your partner at
the end of the long day of backpacking! Pure ecstasy my friends only a chocoholic
can understand.
Available here, and many other stores.
https://www.theochocolate.com/store/pro ... -chocolate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Chocolate Rave

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, Mav. I bought some salted dark chocolate once (not Theo) and wound up throwing it out.
I assume this is mail order only ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No, have purchased at Whole Foods Market, and after having a store manager friend
of mine taste it today (another chocoholic) he is going to order some for his store.
It really is that good. (I should be getting some commission for all the business that
I have thrown there way with this bar). :lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

OK, I'll look for it next time I'm out grocery shopping.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

I bought a few chocolate bars for an upcoming trip, including this one. It's quite addictive. I just ate half of it with a little red wine (just to test it of course). I concur with Maverick. Wow. The only downside is that it's a bit large. The smaller bars fit better in the bear can...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cahiker wrote:
The only downside is that it's a bit large.
Large is never a downside, just nibble it down to fit! :D

tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

One can break down the bars into pieces and put them in a plastic bag.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I guess I now have to try the Sea Salt version of Lindt's dark chocolate bars we have here at the store. Personally, I think I found my favorite a while ago when I dicovered the Chili flavored Lindt bars. So perfect. I never liked dark chocolate until I tried this one.

My favorite for hiking is called Scho-Ka-Kola, though. Contains caffeine and was originally meant for pilots in WW2 as survival food. Expensive here in the US if you find it ($5.99 best I found with google), but so good when you need an energy boost on the trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You all need to treat yourselves and take one of these out on your next trip:
Dick Taylor's "Belize Toledo" 72%, it is off the hook!

Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I like chocolate, and always take a bar of Belgian 72% cacoa dark, available cheap at Trader Joe's.

On my recent Duck Pass trip, I paired this chocolate with The Glenlivet 12 year single malt Scotch, for an after dinner treat. Good stuff.

I want to try Maverick's recommendations.

There is a local wine store in Orange, CA that carries some interesting chocolates.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.