Freeze Dried Food for Hiking?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Freeze Dried Food for Hiking?

Post by rlown »

when you say hiking, do you mean like day hikes?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

This looks like spam but I'll not take that for granted.

I take real food hiking, with a few exceptions. Backpacking can burn a lot of calories and the calorie content of freeze dried meals is too often much lower than real food equivalents. And they are frequently high sodium (looking at Mountain House you'd think we needed 50 times the normal amount of salt) and full of preservatives.

I sometimes use freeze dried precooked eggs in a meal, and some fruits or veggies are better freeze dried than dehydrated. Other than that all my food comes from a grocery store.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

It is spam. This is posted with minor variation on piles of hiking, camping and survivalist forums since the 15th.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Post deemed as spam, and necessary actions taken. I'm stopping short of deleting or locking the topic given the question is valid and has some useful replies thus far (and perhaps more to come). Thanks to those for flagging this as spam.
Stewart G
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Stewart G »

Despite being spam, it's an interesting question.
When I switched over to an Esbit stove for backpacking, I thought it would also be a simple way to also cook lunch (i.e., boil water for a freeze dried meal) or make tea, on day hikes near home. But then I realized that in the places I day hike, open flames are forbidden outside of campsites, and require a fire permit to boot. So the Esbit stays at home.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Not so much to cook a meal but but durring cooler weather I carry my stove often while dayhiking. Once I reach my destination it's nice to have a hot cup of coffee or ramen while resting and taking in the view. :drinkers:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Why buy the overpriced poor nutrition of mountain house et al when you can make your own so easy and cheaper? Any supermarket has a wide selection of suitable foods; if you want more there are ample freeze dried food retailers on the net with a wider selection than mountain house, or make your own dried foods.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

We use freeze dried food in backpacking trips. But not prepared meals. Just components, like dried freeze beef, turkey, cabbage, vegetable mix and so on. This does not contain salt or anything else, just natural product. For example, cook quinoa or pasta, add freeze dried meat, freeze dried vegie mix, salt and spices as we need. This is cheaper and healthier compared to meals in a pack.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I ran across this deal while ordering some supplies testerday. Not exactly the same as fresh cheese but a heck of a lot lighter so I can carry enough to put it on everything if I want to. A #10 can is a lot of cheese but I normally split it with a buddy.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/freeze ... secan.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray