Meals in the high country

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I've gone through stages of eating all sorts of things, from freeze dried to extravagant. Personally for dinner I prefer the easier, add hot water to a bag meal. I like the freeze dried meals but prefer to add my own ingredients. I tried out some of the freezerbagcooking.com recipes, which are a fantastic idea, but sometimes they just don't seem to completely satisfy me. Now I'm moving into a phase where I rehydrate things I've dehydrated in freezer bags. For example, dehydrate some asian black pepper sauce. Add it to some freeze dried chicken with dehydrated veggies, and rehydrate in a freezer bag with some instant rice either together or separate. Trader Joe's also has some things that I just don't get sick of. Annie's microwave mac-n-cheese, and those indian 'boil in a bag to cook' meals are my favorites. Breakfast has always been either granola or oatmeal with dehydrated fruits added. Lunch has usually been just munching all day long on all sorts of things.