Example Ration List

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Example Ration List

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry but the table did not copy in proper columns, but here is what I just packed for a 9-day trip. It ALL fits inside my Bearikade Weekender. Everyone has different tastes and needs, but I thought an exact list would be a good example. There is nothing here that is specially bought- all came from the grocery store (including Trader Joes). (PS- how to you get a table to copy into the forum in proper columns??)

Food Item (oz)
DRINKS - 8 days (1.0 lbs, subtotal)
Emergen-C 3.6
Cocoa with Nido 6.0
Ovaltine 0.8
Miso soup 1.2
tea (8bags) 0.8
coffee, instant 2.0
Protein Powder 2.0
DINNER-- 8 days (3.7 pounds, subtotal )
pasta whole wheat 3.8
Black beans 3.0
vegetable mix 1.5
Black beans 3.0
rice, instant 1.5
Roasted Garlic potatoes 2.2
Teriyaki noodle side 8.0
Chili Mix 5.4
Cheddar Broccoli side dish 4.2
hummus 2.5
Cheddar Garlic Potato 5.6
sauces/ spices 2.7
Romano, parmesan cheese 3.8
dried tomatoes 2.0
pepperoni 1.8
olive oil 4.7
TVP 4.0
BREAKFAST--8 days (2.7 pounds subtotal)
Malt-o-meal, plain 18.0
Oatmeal, plain 5.4
sunflower seeds 3.0
brown sugar- 1 tsp per pack 2.4
Nido 2.0
fd mango 0.9
fd pineapple chips 2.8
Margarine 5.0
Almonds 3.0
TRAIL FOOD -- 9 days (2.9 pounds subtotal)
Almonds 6.0
sunflower seeds 3.0
Cranaisns or raisins 7.0
Zone trail mix bars 1.6
Balance Bars 3.5
Zone Pretzel bars 1.6
dry fried bananas 2.6
candy (hard) Rio Roast 2.1
dried mango 6.0
Dried apricots 3.0
Pemmican bar 3.8
jerky 5.7
TOTAL WEIGHT (pounds) (10.3 pounds total)

Nutritional Content

cal/d % wt %cal
Protein 356 18% 15%
Fat 875 20% 36%
Carbohydrate 1,211 62% 50%
Total 2,442
100% 100%
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Re: Example Ration List

Post by obiwan canoli »

This looks interesting, but when backpacking - especially in the Sierra - you ought to plan on about 2#/day for the active hiker/backpacker, otherwise, methinks you'd run out of steam early on...
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I've never figured out how to get a excel spreadsheet mapped into php columns either. But you can upload the spreadsheet as an attachment.

Quite a tasty list of food stuffs.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

WD has her system down. You and me might need more, I know I do, but she is highly experienced. She is just sharing what works for her. Look at her calories per day though, food weight isn't as important than the nutritional information she has provided and that looks pretty good. In fact 2500 per day is what I shoot for, just my food choices tend to be heavier on fats, therfore heavier in general.

Anyway thanks for the share WD.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

A nice list! Great details and specifics. However, this assumes that one knows how to cook. I'm such a dumb @$$ when it comes to cooking, I wouldn't know what to do with half of that stuff. I wish I did, but it's Mountain House for me...or starve! :(
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Eiprahs »

WD, did you supplement this menu with trout?

If you don't plan to fish, do you add additional protein to this menu?

The reason I ask is I plan our trip menus and my primary hiking partner needs a high protein, low carb diet. So I'm a big fan of the #10 cans of freeze dried chicken/beef which I repackage to supplement individual dishes. We normally don't fish or plan for other found-in-the-field foods (but we do keep our eyes open). :)

Thanks for sharing your trip menu.
Dave
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

WD,
Interesting list, thanks for sharing. I've never put all of this into a spreadsheet, but it seems like it might be a good idea. I'm still experimenting with menus after many years on the trail. One thing that stands out to me is the limited (15%) protein content of your menu. My preference is for more on the order of 20%. However, the fact the you can get 9 days of food into a Weekender is awesome.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

obiwan canoli wrote:This looks interesting, but when backpacking - especially in the Sierra - you ought to plan on about 2#/day for the active hiker/backpacker, otherwise, methinks you'd run out of steam early on...
That really made me laugh, since I know how long WD has been backpacking and doing menus.

Also, not true for me - I took 12 lbs of food last week and came back with 4 lbs of food. That ratio has never worked for me.... I never ever ever eat that much food at elevation. And I tend to do 8-10 mile days. I wore out my group and still had a bounce in my step after traversing the Tablelands - 8 miles of steep ups and downs on granite slab and talus with a backpack.

Limiting protein is actually a preference of the folks who wrote the 5th edition of Freedom of the Hills (Mountaineer's Bible) as it is very difficult to digest at high elevations.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Fly Guy Dave wrote:A nice list! Great details and specifics. However, this assumes that one knows how to cook. I'm such a dumb @$$ when it comes to cooking, I wouldn't know what to do with half of that stuff. I wish I did, but it's Mountain House for me...or starve! :(
You'll starve faster on Mountain House... less calories than real food for sure.

I rarely cook, but throwing together meals ala trailcooking.com is simple enough. There's nothing to it. Even I can manage it.... I save the $$$ I would have spent for the pizza and beer on the way home. I would starve trying to eat prepackaged freeze dried expensive meals - they taste horrible to me, except for the couscous based ones, and geeze, that's easy to replicate for a third of the price.'

Everyone loved my Lentil Burritos and Chicken Pecan Salad. So easy, *no cooking*, so tasty, so good for you. And then there is Packit Gourmet for people who like to spoil themselves. I tried the potato samosas this trip. It went over so well people were asking for the recipe.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

I came back from 5 day trip last week. Never cook in the wilderness. Just use the jet boil for boiling water pour in package wait 15 minutes and eat.

Breakfast:
Instant oatmeal
Brownies, cliff bars, powdered donuts
or desserts below
Coffee

Entrees Mountain House:
- Chicken Breast and Mash potatoes (good)
- Spaghetti and Meat Sauce (good)
- Chicken and Rice (good)
- Beef Stew (average)
- Beef Stroganoff (good)
- Chicken Tetrazzini with asparagus(good)
- Teriyaki Chicken and Rice (good)
- Lasagna (below average)
- Mexican style chicken and rice (good)
- Sweet and sour Pork with rice (not again)

Desserts:
Mountain house Ice cream sandwiches x7 with Coffee (so good together in morning or end of day)
Mountain house apple crisp dessert (good)
Backpackers Pantry Crème Brule (messy)