Does Nido have to be mixed w/ warm water?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Does Nido have to be mixed w/ warm water?

Post by Telkwa »

Found some Nido at WalMart. Hispanic food section. The can says to mix with warm water.

Is that necessary? I was thinking of using it with Spiru-tein, a powdered "meal in a glass" sort of thing, and don't want to add a whole new level of complexity. We'd been using plain old Carnation powdered milk but would like to try Nido instead.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Does Nido have to be mixed w/ warm water?

Post by copeg »

The many times I've used it have had it mix well in cold water. There always seems to be some dregs left over that don't mix well, but I seem to at times get this with non-fat powdered milk as well
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

I always mix it with cold water. Works fine, although it does take some extra time to dissolve over the non-fat milk. Usually I don't wait for that. It's not like I m using it for some sort of culinary experience. It's food that needs to get into my body - chunky is fine :D

try mixing a cup of Nido with protein vanilla shake powder - more powder than water. Stir forever, but it's worth it.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I usually bring a 20 oz gatorade or Vitamin water or whatever bottle with the widish top for mixing drinks and stuff like that. Shake the hell out of it!!

Nido looks to be a very good addition to any pack pantry. Protein, fat for energy, high calorie per oz!! Spiru-tein + Nido sounds like a really good breakfast smoothie!!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I think that I already posted about it but a buddy and I have been adding a couple tbl spoons of Nido and a couple Tbl spoons of instant expresso to an instant breakfast. It will help get your morning started right. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Telkwa wrote:Found some Nido at WalMart. Hispanic food section. The can says to mix with warm water.

Is that necessary? I was thinking of using it with Spiru-tein, a powdered "meal in a glass" sort of thing, and don't want to add a whole new level of complexity. We'd been using plain old Carnation powdered milk but would like to try Nido instead.
I tried your Spiru and Nido combo last week and it was darn good. I premixed it in a baggy and it was alot of powder, but it dissolved pretty well with a good shake. Good breakfast with some oatmeal.