Shipping and handling kills online buys

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shipping and handling kills online buys

Post by hikerduane »

Twice now since last Fall, I have been about to order food from Anti Gravity, get down to where it shows the shipping charges and cancel my order. Shipping is about 50% of the price of the items I want. I'll have to package my own I guess or buy in a store.
Piece of cake.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Shipping and handling kills online buys

Post by The Other Tom »

Is that brand available on Amazon ? Most times (but not all !) Amazon ships for free if the order is over $25.
REI ships for free if the order is over something like $100. Don't know if you can get Anti gravity at REI or not, but even so $100 is a lot of food.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hikerduane wrote:Twice now since last Fall, I have been about to order food from Anti Gravity, get down to where it shows the shipping charges and cancel my order. Shipping is about 50% of the price of the items I want. I'll have to package my own I guess or buy in a store.
Depends on where you live, and if close to a store that stocks what you want. How expensive is it for you to drive to a place to get to what you want? and then the expense to package your own..
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

hikerduane wrote:Twice now since last Fall, I have been about to order food from Anti Gravity, get down to where it shows the shipping charges and cancel my order. Shipping is about 50% of the price of the items I want. I'll have to package my own I guess or buy in a store.
I know exactly what you mean.

Some good info:
If you get SierraTradingPost.com's credit card, their shipping is a flat $2.50 (something like that; it's very reasonable). Of course STP is sort of an "overstock" and "close out" type website. Sometimes they have what you want; sometimes they don't. If you sign up for their emails, the constantly offer coupons and free shipping deals.

REI will ship for free to one of their stores. Not helpful though if you're not near an REI. :(

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Depending on what you are trying to buy but this site might be of interest. Honeyville charges a flat rate of $4.49 on any order.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ogg
Topix Novice

Post by ogg »

I often order food from Campsaver.com. Shipping on orders over $50 (about 10 or 12 meals) is free and they often have Enertia brand trail foods on sale (my favorite brand).