Coffee FYI

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Coffee FYI

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Last trip I took a sample of VIA- had one cup of VIA and one cup of Trader Joe's Instant. The VIA was slightly better, but not enough for me to fork out the extra money. A lot of the taste in coffe is in the water. Bad water makes for bad coffee. I do not treat my cooking water. I suspect that using treated (chlorine tabs) water for coffee would make it taste off. High Sierra water, in contact with granite, is the sweetest best water ever! I also found that the exact right amount of instant coffee is important. I think one reason VIA tastes better is that it comes in pre-measured packets. At home I have experimented with my regular instant coffee to find the proper amount and am very careful to use this portion when I am out.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

well, I've had Via and mass market instant coffee in the same size pre-measured packs with me. the amounts were the same, the water and the cup were the same, and I never treat or filter water. the taste of the cheap stuff? =;
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

VIA is on sale again at Costco. Mentioning it in case anyone has some winter trips planned. (I had to pass as I'm 7-8 months from my next trip. :crybaby: )
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

After many years of trying several items and products to have the best cup of backcountry coffee, I have resorted to drinking what I used to bring years ago on my backpacking trips... Taster's Choice Freeze Dried Coffee. My rationale for this is saving weight, less space taken up in the bear canister, no empty coffee wrappers or used coffee "tea bags" to pack out, quick and convenient, you can easily make it as strong or as weak as you like, and in the morning it taste pretty darn good. I usually have about three 6 oz. cups each morning. The first by itself as I sit on a rock or log and contemplate the day ahead. The second cup with breakfast, and the third to have after breakfast when I'm often looking over my topo maps. I find that most foods taste pretty good when camping out and to me freeze dried coffee is no exception. I don't drink it at home just like I don't eat freeze dried lasagna at home either, but for my wife and I, when we're out on the trail, it tastes just fine. :nod: js hill
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hmm.. about all i can say.. Even I tried Via and it's lighter than a press and not any heavier than a bag'o freeze dried coffee. I too, would take freeze dried Folgers dark roast before I found Via. My friend still carries the Folgers, and somehow I run out of Via packets earlier than usual.

As I ran short on the last day of my trip last Sept, I ran into some 20 somethings, and they gladly gave me a couple packets, as long as I carried out the cardboard container it came in (yes, i didn't ask why they carried that, but they also had a quarter wheel of Gouda and some fine single malt). A good time was had by all, and i had some Via for the morning on the day we headed out.

My press is taken when I have 3 or more coffee drinkers, and the obligatory pound of Peets. Otherwise, i'm sold on Via.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

got a $25 gift certificate to STarbucks from Santa - time to replenish my Via supplies. I noticed they now have something like 6 different kinds. I've only had the Columbian so far - anyone can comment on the others?
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

It's all good, but pay attention to the expiration dates.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Starbucks also offers a Via Iced coffee version that I tried on recent 3 day trip where I left the stove at home. I was pleasantly surprised. I tried the "coffee" flavor - a pkg makes 16oz and was enough pow for a hardcore coffee addict like me, It is slightly sweet and good coffee flavor. Still missed a cup of hot joe in the morning, but I was sold as a totally viable (no pun intended) alternative. I will probably bring a packet to two on longer trips for a pick up on hard days.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:For those who have converted to using the Starbucks Via on the trail: Costco is offering $3.25 off a 24 pack right now. At my local store that brought it down to just over 50¢ a shot. Not bad considering it's close to a $1 a shot at the grocery store.
Thanks - I use those too; so I headed to Costco and picked some up. I use the coffee mate stick packs for my creamer, which are about the same size as the starbucks via packs. One Starbucks Via and one Coffee Mate Stick Pack added to a cup of hot water each morning - pretty lightweight and it's nice to have my coffee in the morning.
Ucdengboss
Topix Novice

Coffee FYI

Post by Ucdengboss »

I have tried the caramel and vanilla flavored Via (I brought vanilla and a friend brought caramel so we could trade a pack). I love vanilla to begin with and this was no exception. The friend that brought the caramel tried my vanilla and he loved it as well. Not to say caramel was bad but the vanilla hit the spot. I just wish it weren't so expensive. I buy a 7 pack of cheap stuff at Walmart for $1.29. Of course it tastes like dirt but it is dirt cheap.