Coffee FYI

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Coffee FYI

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

For those who have converted to using the Starbucks Via on the trail: Costco is offering $3.25 off a 24 pack right now. At my local store that brought it down to just over 50¢ a shot. Not bad considering it's close to a $1 a shot at the grocery store.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Coffee FYI

Post by oldranger »

Carne ...

Thanks for the heads up!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I've discovered something I like better than Via... Mount Hagen. One teaspoon makes a good strong cup of coffee, one jar makes 60 cups for 12 bucks. I found it after being recommended to try it at the Yosemite grocery in the village. Haven't seen it in stores in town, tho I haven't tried Whole Foods yet.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I'll have to try it.

Looks like you can find it online.

http://www.nextag.com/mount-hagen-coffee/stores-html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Post by Telkwa »

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I'd never heard of Via or Hagen's. What do you guys think? Is it really pretty tasty compared to fresh-brewed? Maybe it's 'close enuf' when you factor in speed, convenience, and clean-up?

Obviously the thing to do is swing by our local Starbucks and pick up a few, but I'd like to hear your comments..
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Telkwa wrote: Is it really pretty tasty compared to fresh-brewed? Maybe it's 'close enuf' when you factor in speed, convenience, and clean-up?
The Via is really not bad, and yes, the convenience really makes it for me. No grounds to clean up/pack out. If anything, it can be a bit weak, but that's about all. I'm by no means a coffee snob, I just like one black coffee in the morning and that's it. At home I use the Kirkland brand coffee beans (basically Starbucks).
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I used a french press for a few years and it was great but now I'm on board with Via due to the convenience. I'm open to other options though and may have to check out the Mount Hagen. Thanks for the info.

ladd
Rod Kinner
Topix Newbie

Post by Rod Kinner »

Telkwa wrote:Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I'd never heard of Via or Hagen's. What do you guys think? Is it really pretty tasty compared to fresh-brewed? Maybe it's 'close enuf' when you factor in speed, convenience, and clean-up?

Obviously the thing to do is swing by our local Starbucks and pick up a few, but I'd like to hear your comments..
fishinxj
Topix Novice

Post by fishinxj »

Tried the Vias last weekend and will no longer carry myJetboil press. The Vias are good enough to dump the press. No cleaning. Coffee just disolves. The Italian Roast tastes good. The Carmel flavor is okay.

shane
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm finished with my French press. The Italian Roast Via is just as good and no mess, no cold wet hands in the morning--another innovation in wilderness travel. I found it on sale for a dollar for a pack of three and bought 25 of them.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;