Coffee FYI | High Sierra Topix  

Coffee FYI

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Coffee FYI

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm

For those who have converted to using the Starbucks Via on the trail: Costco is offering $3.25 off a 24 pack right now. At my local store that brought it down to just over 50¢ a shot. Not bad considering it's close to a $1 a shot at the grocery store.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.

Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Coffee FYI

Postby oldranger » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Carne ...

Thanks for the heads up!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 am

I've discovered something I like better than Via... Mount Hagen. One teaspoon makes a good strong cup of coffee, one jar makes 60 cups for 12 bucks. I found it after being recommended to try it at the Yosemite grocery in the village. Haven't seen it in stores in town, tho I haven't tried Whole Foods yet.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby Oubliet » Mon May 02, 2011 11:38 pm

I'll have to try it.

Looks like you can find it online.

http://www.nextag.com/mount-hagen-coffee/stores-html
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Postby Telkwa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I'd never heard of Via or Hagen's. What do you guys think? Is it really pretty tasty compared to fresh-brewed? Maybe it's 'close enuf' when you factor in speed, convenience, and clean-up?

Obviously the thing to do is swing by our local Starbucks and pick up a few, but I'd like to hear your comments..
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Telkwa wrote: Is it really pretty tasty compared to fresh-brewed? Maybe it's 'close enuf' when you factor in speed, convenience, and clean-up?

The Via is really not bad, and yes, the convenience really makes it for me. No grounds to clean up/pack out. If anything, it can be a bit weak, but that's about all. I'm by no means a coffee snob, I just like one black coffee in the morning and that's it. At home I use the Kirkland brand coffee beans (basically Starbucks).
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Postby DriveFly44 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 pm

I used a french press for a few years and it was great but now I'm on board with Via due to the convenience. I'm open to other options though and may have to check out the Mount Hagen. Thanks for the info.

ladd
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Postby Rod Kinner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Telkwa wrote:Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I'd never heard of Via or Hagen's. What do you guys think? Is it really pretty tasty compared to fresh-brewed? Maybe it's 'close enuf' when you factor in speed, convenience, and clean-up?

Obviously the thing to do is swing by our local Starbucks and pick up a few, but I'd like to hear your comments..
Rod Kinner
Topix Newbie

Postby fishinxj » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Tried the Vias last weekend and will no longer carry myJetboil press. The Vias are good enough to dump the press. No cleaning. Coffee just disolves. The Italian Roast tastes good. The Carmel flavor is okay.

shane
fishinxj
Topix Novice

Postby vandman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 am

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm finished with my French press. The Italian Roast Via is just as good and no mess, no cold wet hands in the morning--another innovation in wilderness travel. I found it on sale for a dollar for a pack of three and bought 25 of them.
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby Troutdog 59 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I am also a convert to VIA, as much as I hate to admit it. Pretty tasty, light, and just so darned simple. Add water, stir, drink.
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby fishmonger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:36 am

Via is "Mousie-Approved" - here in the Muir Pass hut. Mousie is still looking for the best creamer alternative to the real thing...

fishmonger
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Backcountry Food Topix