Winter Ski Cache Dinner Options

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Winter Ski Cache Dinner Options

Post by yosehiker »

I'm getting ready to organize my winter ski caches and was looking to change up the menu a bit, for dinner mostly. My breakfasts, lunches, snacks & beverages are set but after having the same dinners out there year after year we are looking to change it. In the past we have had burritos (cache canned beans & salsa, ski in veggies/cheese) and pasta (cache sauce & pasta, ski in veggies/meat). We were thinking of having stew for a night, but I'm not sold on the quality of canned/jarred stew or if we can cache the ingredients and make it out there. Another option was chili, though I can't think of what to put it with. Otherwise I'm drawing a blank. We have a fair amount of room, 5 gallon buckets, and shortish (5 miles or less) hikes in so heavier items are definitely acceptable. Food is for two, albeit big eaters.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter Ski Cache Dinner Options

Post by copeg »

Is weight a major consideration for either the cache or fresh options? Chili would be a great option, some canned beans, canned/bottled pasta sauce, seasoning (cumin, chili powder, etc...), and if you have the option for bringing in 'freshies', some ground meat. A dutch oven and you could make some cornbread to go with, or make pancake type of cornbread patties otherwise.

Just have to ask whereabouts are you headed?
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Winter Ski Cache Dinner Options

Post by yosehiker »

No weight isn't a big consideration. I can either drive to it, or pack it in just a few miles. Last year i packed in 3 groups cache's and my pack must have been 70+ lbs. (Nothing like having a cold beer after a long day of skiing). Then we usually ski in fresh veggies or meat to enhance the flavors. That typically is just a few pounds, much less than if we had to pack in all our food.

Headed in the Yosemite area: Ostrander, Snow Creek, Tuolumne Meadows. Most of the cabins have a full stove and oven, so making corn bread is definitely an option, and one i had not considered. The chili actually does sound like a better option at this point. Hearty, yet easy to make and enhance along with a nice piece of warm bread with butter. Thanks!