Dehydrated Pork Chops

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Dehydrated Pork Chops

Post by gary c. »

Anyone ever try anything like this? It says to cook as you would a raw chop, sounds kind of interesting.
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dehydrated Pork Chops

Post by rlown »

what do you really do with a #10 can of pork chops. sure they look delicious. not sure i can find the 20 mins to soak the suckers when i'm fishing. If you don't fish, you'd almost have to soak that puppy on the trail. maybe on a layover day, but still.

If you do order them, let us know how they taste.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I agree on the #10 can but it's only 14 servings and I can always sucker a couple hiking buddies into experimenting with me. A 20 minute soak would be no big deal, just throw them in a pot while I set up camp. Still not sure if I want to try them tho, that is why I was hoping someone here might have had them before. I keep thinking about how much I enjoy the MH chicken breast and mashed taters but I have my doubts that these would cook that well on the trail.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

anyone ever try them since this was first posted here in 2010?

They are on sale right now and I may use a can of these to bribe my kids into another hike in summer...

review found with some google action:
http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I never did buy any. I decided that since I am mostly set up for freezer bag cooking I would either have to change out some gear or use in a campfire area only.
-- Lionel Terray
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted

Dehydrated Pork Chops

Post by jimqpublic »

Peter

Mtn house had something similar 25 years ago. Taste was like a very overcooked, dry, flavorless pork chop. I hope they have been improved.
Jim