Can your best food beat this?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Can your best food beat this?

Post by Cross Country »

I personally like to eat simply. It gives me more time to fish (or do other thing I like), and keeps me at a good body weight too.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

French's French Fried Onions 180 Cal/Oz

Not the best snack, but could be added to things for a calorie wallop.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Trout aren't that low in calories. Almost any food high in protein are at least fairly high in calories. I don't know about you but I nearly always ate lots of fish, making it high in calories. On my last day of fishing I would cook (smoke) enough fish (filleted) for the next nights camp on my (our) way out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Try 10 days straight on nothing BUT fish (no extra oil allowed for cooking). You may then change your mind that trout are high on calories. Once I did a 50-mile, 4-day survival walk-out living only on fish, and I was hungry! When you actually have to make miles in addition to fishing it gets harder to live on fish. And, given my fishing skills, trout will never be "high calorie" for me! I have never heard of anyone getting fat on trout. But there is nothing better than fresh trout while backpacking. Interestingly, after four days on nothing but trout, in spite of being hungry, I had little appatite for more fish.
tightline
Topix Acquainted

Post by tightline »

slightly off topic but maybe a good fyi for you all--Betty Crocker makes what I think is a great addition to dinner, most especially a trout dinner, or just a breakfast on its own--if you want to cook. I always bring a stove. I like hot food. It's a dehydrated hash brown mix that includes onions. All you have to do is add water, then heat and brown in a little skillet or pot. Butter or olive oil is optional, but I always add it with pepper and garlic powder. With oil you can cook them up nice and brown if you prefer them that way which I do. I don't know the carb count but I would imagine it's up there especially if oil is added. If you are a spud lover like I am this is not a bad way to go.
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

jthomascarter wrote:I personally like to eat simply. It gives me more time to fish (or do other thing I like), and keeps me at a good body weight too.
This is kinda my theory. I'm not much for carrying a bunch of cooking stuff i have to clean. I like to keep it simple and quick. Mountain House and bars, etc..........When I'm car campin its a different story.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I don't think I could bring myself to include Slim Jims in my larder on a trip. I used to eat them when I was a student, but never since hen.

If I wanted a fatty sausage to bring, I'd bring Columbo hard salami, or maybe some lap cheong (Chinese sausage.) I also like bringing cheeses.

Nuts are good, too, for nutrition, since they have healthy oils and proteins.