Food Dehydrator

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Food Dehydrator

Post by krudler »

I am stoked to say that for my b-day my wife got me a Snackmaster Express food dehydrator (and also a FoodSaver home vacuum packing system!). I am hoping to add more flavor/variety/overall better food to my backpacking (mis)adventures.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Or thoughts/tips about making your own dehydrato-backpacking meals in general? I'm hoping to get it to a place where I can make up stuff, mix it together in the bag, vacuum seal it, and then just add hot water to that out on the trail/in camp (like a $6 bag of food from REI) and voila! tastier meal.

Can you dehydrate scrambled eggs? :)
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Snackmaster! Wow... I know nothing about their dehydrators, but their grilled cheese sandwich makers are the bee's knees! Great memories. Hadn't thought about our Snackmaster since my college days. Think I might even still have that thing somewhere tucked away in storage. I'll have to pull it out! Thanks, krudler!

ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I've had a Nesco snackmaster for about 6 months now. Haven't used it as much as I would have liked. It makes great jerky. One tip (a general dehydrating tip) is to try to avoid mixing too many types of things. The odors do leak from one food into another - if I had the time I'd dehydrate only 1 thing at a time to avoid this. A good site if you haven't seen it is freezerbagcooking.com. I tried eggs with my old dehydrator (which didn't have a thermostat) and didn't like them. But that may have been because of the dehydrator and I dehydrated them with other things which may have tainted them.
Have fun with the new dehydrator!
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Post by StumbleBum »

I don't have that specifc dehydrator, but I do use a dehydrator:
- jerky
- dried fruit - especially bananas. Slice fairly thin and dehydrate until they will snap.
- super-dehydrate store bought dried fruit (apricots, prunes) ... for my taste, the stuff from the store is way too 'wet'.
caddis
Founding Member

Re: Food Dehydrator

Post by caddis »

krudler wrote: Does anyone have any experience with this product? Or thoughts/tips about making your own dehydrato-backpacking meals in general?
This is another backpacking forum that has a "food" forum and I'm positive you will get good ideas from it.

http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

also here, for some "just add water" ideas:

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/