Mountain Hunger

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mountain Hunger

Post by BSquared »

In my case, there's absolutely no question that altitude has a lot to do with it, at least initially. I'd always noticed what I figured was an altitude effect on backpacking trips, but a non-backpacking experience convinced me. We took a trip to a ski condo at Breckenridge, CO, several years ago (base altitude about 9600') and brought huge amounts of food, most of which we had to take right back home at the end of the weekend. We had Mike's "warm environment sitting in a chair at a table" plus good long day's workouts on the slopes, but we still couldn't eat much. And most of us had been living in Laramie, WY (altitude 7170') for several months beforehand!
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

look at how you pack for any trip. Have you really changed the mix over time? I haven't. I always come out with extra food, and yes, at first I don't eat a lot. My snacks/lunch go first: pepperoni sticks/slim jims/cheezits, and rolls/summer sausage/spray cheese.

About day 4, the urge to eat kicks in. For fish, but not so much for the freeze dried crap. that is just "in case." Hence carrying the onions, garlic and oranges for the fish fry... Heck, I'd do hash browns, but the grater is as heavy as the potatoes.. Might be on the list..

Don't knock the spray cheese until you try it.. :retard:

Mental note: to get OR to eat, bring a chair and a table.. sweet.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

I forgot, we also had wine rather than 151 with dinner.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Mine kicks in pretty quick, but I'm pretty lean, so not much reserve. I always want more food than I have, but I don't have the room in my pack for such hedonism!

I do eat enough on the trail, just not as much as I could, doesn't mean I should heheh
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

After hiking the first day, for dinner I could eat a horse (not literally).
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Oubliet »

The altitude does affect me. Also, being tired after a day of hiking uphill the first day usually leaves me with a modest appetite. I'm usually content to eat a little something hot, then crawl into my sleeping bag.

I am careful to bring enough food and usually have something left at the end of the trip. It's always good to have a little reserve "just in case".

The first meal at lower elevation after 7-9 days on the trail is usually a pig-out fest with a pint of beer to wash it all down. A burger and fries usually hits the spot, then.

I've often wondered how my appetite would change during a much longer hike, like 3-5 weeks.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I rationed my food carefully. After the first day I would eat so much fish I wouldn't get famished. I always got hungry while fishing. I rarely was willing to stop fishing to eat on time. Therefore I was hungry all day and satiated in the evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Interesting topic -
My normal trip length probably lasts 10 - 12 days, (can often go longer as I regularly lose time easily in the Sierra), and as such am used to experiencing varying degrees of hunger as to what day it is in the trip agenda...Nowadays, even plan on this hunger phenomena/ pack accordingly.
Talking only dinners now - First few days in, usually cannot eat that much and am usually bushed by nightfall, and this is when the easiest meals carried are consumed, (if I eat dinner at all). Boil & bag dinners (usually the only ones eaten all trip) are the rule the first 2 or 3 days...maybe even the singles.
Somewhere about day 4, hunger really starts creeping in just about the time my legs show up...coincidence?
Much more food is needed but do not mind spending the time to actually cook up something...FYI, usually by now trout are on the menu and as such, all that is needed to prepare are just some high caloric "sides". (BTW, the grits thread sounds yummy.) Those supermarket noodle/rice dishes in a pouch work seem to out well/taste fine with a little Asiago, garlic, and herbs...just add trout.
These days, it is not uncommon to only take 10 dinners along on a 12-day-trip. Still I never eat everything...(do sponge off/barter with others too, so that helps). Somehow it always works out.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mark,

I'm still waiting to see you rip into that 3 year old Mountain House beef stew (serves 4) meal that you showed me. Maybe in July.

Russ