Organic Food Isle at your supermarket | High Sierra Topix  

Organic Food Isle at your supermarket

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Organic Food Isle at your supermarket

Postby fishmonger » Sat May 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I was searching for dehydrated hummus when I walked into the organic food isle today - wow!

I not only found the hummus, I found about a half dozen potential meals for our summer trip:

refried black beans
refried beans
sloppy joe mix
hummus
vegetarian taco filling
tofu scrambler
falafel
tabouli salad
all sorts of couscous

cheap, lots of good ingredients, and a departure from the usual soup or rice dishes we used to eat.

http://fantasticfoods.elsstore.com/

actually cheaper in our local market than online. I'll be testing some of these in the coming days and report back. None of these need any real cooking.

I also found some organic pesto seasoning pouch - now I just need to locate some pine nuts and we have another meal the kids will love. We already pack olive oil as a calorie staple.

They didn't have tomato powder, which I am looking for to make my own chili, but then I found this place online that has just about anything you'd ever want in dehydrated form - down to butter flakes or artificially chicken flavored vegetable protein bits :-)

http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp ... 0in%20Cans

fishmonger
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Organic Food Isle at your supermarket

Postby badtux » Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 pm

My local Safeway (the Rivermark Safeway in Santa Clara) has an aisle of bulk dried organic food. Bins of stuff like dried bean soup flakes, couscous, basmati rice, and so forth. Memorial Day trip, I ate more black bean soup, couscous, and rice than I liked courtesy of this aisle (I was supposed to have cheese with me, but forgot it in the fridge at home -- darn!).

Trader Joe's is also famous for having a lot of bulk dried stuff, but I don't have a TJ near me, so don't know if that's true.

I understand there are people who actually buy something called "backpacking food", but I'm not quite sure who they are. They certainly aren't people trying to fit sufficient food for several days to a week into a bear canister :D .
badtux
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Postby DriveFly44 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:58 pm

I load up at my local TJ here in town. Great place. Their flat bananas are to die for and a welcome snack on the trail. Their freeze dried strawberries are also worth it.

ladd
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby fishmonger » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:15 am

we have a Trader Joe's in town - gotta go check what they carry here. Usually I only go for the fancy brews they carry - no idea about their freeze-dried selection :unibrow:
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Return to Backcountry Food Topix