Favorite Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Bars

Post by balzaccom »

I still remember a scene in a TV special on climbing in the Himalayas. After many episodes of the Western climbers trying local food and making disparaging remarks about it, the camera focused on one of the climbers offering an energy bar to one of the Sherpas...apparently this had not been done before.

The Sherpa carefully studied the bar, then took a bite... and spat it out almost at once, gagging at the same time, and later spitting repeatedly to get the taste out of his mouth.

Hysterically funny, and a good reminder that food is all in the eye (and stomach) of the beholder!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:
but - Those big, dark-chocolate, Milky Ways =D> always yummo!
Wow. A potential Rachael Ray fan. Never would have guessed, Mark. :p
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Eric,
Heck yes...Healthy diet of the Food Channel (in HI-Def) here.
Good Eats and EVOO for everybody!
It would be nice to have the knowledge of Alton Brown...maybe spend one night as a sous chef teamed up with Mario, in a 20-mile-in, wilderness (back-packable) Iron Chef Kitchen stadium, battling Bobby Flay where the secret ingredients are crushed, a week old, and all "Bearikade"-able.
FYI, I have been known to cook a mean trout...BAM!

...sorry, just winter wanderings...
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I can vouch for Mark's culinary skills when it comes to trout. He even serves it in 5 star restaurant style! (debones it right before your eyes!) I can also vouch for his consumption of milky way candy bars. He generously shared part of one with me this past summer. I used to bring snickers in but they made me fart so bad even I couldn't stand it! :crybaby: But I created my own favorite candy bar this summer when the Premium Raspberry M&Ms that I mixed with my Costco Tropical Trail Mix melted and made everything clump together. What an unexpected combination. Several accidental food mixes turned up during my trips this summer. The other of equal significance was the accidental mixing of Trader Joe's Wasabi peas with Trader Joe's Honey Roasted Peanuts. A bag of each in a gallon ziplock. Lasts about a week in the backcountry for me and mixes nicely with a backcountry daiquiri. :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Or make your own bars.
Mix up your favorite Gorp or Granola then stir in some marshmallow fluff till it all sticks together. dump it into a shallow buttered pan then chill to set. Cut into whatever size bar you want, wrap it up, there you go.
Just like rice crispy squares but more !
OR
Does anyone here remember the old H&M pemmican bars?
IIRC
they were a puree of
Nuts, coconut, & mixed fruit with raisins.
The puree was a very very thick consistancey then spread
on some sort of plate, cut and wrapped.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

“Of equal significance was the accidental mixing of Trader Joe's Wasabi peas with Trader Joe's Honey Roasted Peanuts…I used to bring snickers in but they made me fart so bad even I couldn't stand it!”…
(Used to?)…Dream on my friend!

Truth be told, I had the good fortune of hiking with Mike and, while he is quite the nifty fisherman and an almost tolerable backcountry companion, I wouldn’t ever think of sharing a tent with him…or setting up mine too close.

I just have to ask…Why do you think I was constantly third in line as he led us up the trail? The clouds of Ambiance…For a smaller guy, he can really bring it!
Mountainman who swims with trout
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

My most favorite bar after a backpack trip was the Cutthroat Saloon in Markleville. Some good times spent in that place. Remember all of the bras hanging in the rafters
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

cmon4day wrote:My most favorite bar after a backpack trip was the Cutthroat Saloon in Markleville. Some good times spent in that place. Remember all of the bras hanging in the rafters
Local favorite: The Pioneer Saloon in Susanville. Operating as a saloon since 1859 and is considered the oldest business in NE CA.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

A new source of stove fuel, Snickers Power/BioGas !
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

fishmonger wrote:
BSquared wrote: Surely at this time of year it shouldn't be necessary to purchase a fruitcake! I think a little careful dumpster diving is likely to turn up an arbitrarily large number of discarded fruitcakes... :D
mine went out with the garbage this morning. Can't eat that stuff, adn the ingredient list was also scary.
Yah.... I think they really load up the comercial fruitcakes with a LOT of preservatives....but that's the good thing about making my own :) . I think I'll make a couple loaves and start "soaking" it for this summer... woohoo!