Consuming enough calories

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Consuming enough calories

Post by giantbrookie »

As noted on the "mountain hunger" thread, I don't have a problem with calorie consumption, but, on the other hand, I make sure I bring a ton of food, and I catch and eat a whole lot of fish. The flip side of this is that I don't really care about carrying a much heavier pack than most carry on long trips. With folks of equal size and strength my pack will weigh in the 50's for a 7-9 day trip and it weighed in the 60's when I went with my wife (who weighs all of 90lbs herself).

I don't have a lot of extra reserve, though, and I found that on some trips, particularly prior to really starting to pile on the food supply in the mid 90's, that if I went into a trip too lean (ie not having a touch extra padding) I'd start to feel it in the latter part of the trip. So, for very serious death marches I'd train like crazy AND intentionally overeat for awhile going into the trip so I'd be carrying an extra 5-10 lbs or so over my usual 5'10" 165lbs. From the late 90's onward though, I've eaten so much on my long trips I haven't bothered with my pre-trip fattening up.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fedak
Founding Member

Post by fedak »

A plastic flask of olive oil is one of the highest calorie/oz food items and can be used as an additive to most prepared dishes.

I'm also a big fan of Moose Goo on Lard based tortillas
http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

fedak wrote:A plastic flask of olive oil is one of the highest calorie/oz food items and can be used as an additive to most prepared dishes....
All the plant oils (olive, corn, canola, soybean, peanut, et al) are basically the same -- roughly 7.5 cal/gm. Slight variations among the brand names and method of manufacture, but the difference is negligible. Olive is considered 'healthier' in some respects so many prefer it.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

dave54 wrote:
All the plant oils (olive, corn, canola, soybean, peanut, et al) are basically the same -- roughly 7.5 cal/gm. Slight variations among the brand names and method of manufacture, but the difference is negligible. Olive is considered 'healthier' in some respects so many prefer it.

* CORN: 59% polyunsaturated 24% monounsaturated 13% saturated 6.4:1 unsaturated/saturated fat ratio
* OLIVE: 9% polyunsaturated 72% monounsaturated 14% saturated 5.8:1 unsaturated/saturated fat ratio

Doesn't look the same to me.

(The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition, 1992)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The OP is about calories, not lipid composition.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have tracked nutritional content of my backpack food for many years. I always take at least 2,400 calories per day, with about 30%-35% fat, 20% protein, 50%carbs in 1.25 to 1.4 pounds per day. (I weigh 115 pounds and do not have much fat to spare). I can fit 8-9 days food in a Bearikade weekender (this requires very careful consideration of the bulk per calorie- for example all Malt-o-meal instead of oatmeal). On my 34 day Ropers High Route I lost 6 pounds. Last year for the summer in the Wind Rivers I lost 10 pounds over 2 months. So I am not keeping up with calorie output. I COULD eat my required calories, but simply limit my food because I do not want to carry more weight. In the past, when bear cannisters were not required, I would always eat at least one trail bar at night. I no longer do this. I have NEVER had any trouble with back-country appatite! Watch out if you go with me, I will eat all your food too!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

If you go with me, you can eat my food if you want. I will have plenty. But I still lose about two notches in my belt no matter how much I eat or how careful I am to eat enough.

I still haven't gained back the last notch of the two lost from last summer.

And I really have trouble counting and planning. So I really am at a loss about the whole calorie thing.